Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,998   Online: 901

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

North Carolina - any don't miss locations?

My wife and I are trying to work in a vacation sometime soon - the last year or so has been very rough and we need to get back to normal. Does anyone happen to know of any 'do not miss' locations in North Carolina? We're thinking of spending 8-10 days wandering about, no particular plan. I've got books on hiking and waterfalls, but if anyone knows of a particularly good spot I'd love to hear about it in case we happen to wander nearby.

We have no particular plan on what part, or parts, of the state we'll be traveling through, but we'll likely stay out of the Smokies this trip since we've been there so much in the past. Pisgah, Nantahala, Croatan, and Uwharrie are all possibilities, as are any of the state parks.

I'm planning on taking my 4x5 field camera so I can do some hiking, so we'll be fairly mobile and able to reach some of the more out-of-the-way spots. Waterfalls are always good, but so are great rock formations, old buildings, farm equipment, ruins, or other things of that general nature. Probably nothing more than 6 or 8 miles round trip though - I live at sea level and while the mountains are my home, I'm no longer acclimated

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For waterfalls, don't miss DuPont State Forest (it's fairly new - might not be in all guides), and trails and falls in the nearby Pisgah Forest - US276 towards the Blue Ridge Parkway. Up on the parkway, the Graveyard fields trail includes some very nice falls. I don't know what the water is like in any of those this time of year. All of this is in the vicinity of Brevard, for a town reference.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jon,

That place looks pretty good - thanks for the tip. When I get home from work I'll check to see if it's in my guides. If not I'll have some printing to do.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Randy, you might consider Grandfather Mountain near Boone, NC. I had planned on going there this Fall based upon some good advice; but things transpire. Alot of rock outcroppings and there is even a camera clinic next month.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Doug,

I think that I could fit all of their cameras inside mine! That's a place that has been on my list of places to visit for some time too. I'll let you know what we found if we get over that way. Looks like it has lots-o-potential.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are heading to Black Forect campground near DuPont Forest for the weeekend, thanks to the tips online. There's a tour guide, Craig Miller at 1-828-884-8982 who will take you to a large number of waterfalls on private land,I think we'll be going on that tour. Theres a link on the Black Forest camground pages that gets to his site. The Black Forest link can be found on the Dupont Forest page that was posted. If anybody is wandering through the area and stops at the camground look us up. We have an Evolution II offroad popup camper, looks like it's on steroids. The campground office can tell you where we are.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite spot in NC is the Outer Banks, the Buxton lighthouse and surrounding nature reserves are nice.
    "...slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one." b.e.wilson

"Speed kills, Del" Johnny Fever

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would second dscheller's recommendation for OBX. The obvious beach scenes, a derelict life saving station at Oregon Inlet, the lighthouses, and the wild ponies up around Corolla are good spots.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just got back from our trip. Craig Miller was worth the money spent for a guide, he took us places we could have never found on private property (with permission of course). The last waterfall we went to we almost drowned in the cloudburst that hit us just as we got to the falls. I did a quick few handheld shots with the 645 from under an umbrella then hoofed it back to the car dodging the rivers of water coming down the trail. By the time we got back to the car it had stopped raining. We didn't feel like going back, we were too drippy and squishy. Never got to DuPont. We were told it was fairly crowded so we decided to take it easy after the tour. Transylvania County and the surrounding countryside is well worth several visits.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Excellent, thanks for the review. I'm not sure when we're going, but I'll keep that in mind when we do go. I've never used a guide before, but considering that he can get to private locations it might be well worth it for us as well.

- Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin