Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,583   Online: 1205

Shooter
    Large Format

Tampa/St. Petes, Clearwater.. Any places to find gear?

I'm down here having a blast but would like to know if there are any good shops or stores? I like dirty camera stores filled with odds and ends, hopefully ran by a man who knows more than I do about every thing.. Like $100 Deardorff's, some post-ww2 leica's in a drum, etc.

No really, are there any places around here to check out some real film cameras, hopefully used ones?

I'll be driving back up to Valdosta, GA. in a few days.
    Maybe a list of good photo stores, locations to shoot, cool places to eat. would be nice. I'm open to Gainesville, Jacksonville.etc.

When I get back to Valdosta i'll write up a post for my town. Where to go, places to see. Might be useful to someone else passing through.
    There in another appuger in valdosta, even two I believe. I know they exist. hmmm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As far as I know, Colonial Camera in Orlando is only store in Florida still selling traditional photography equipment.
    There is an Ansel Adams & others exhibit at Museum of Fine Arts in St Pete.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    As far as I know, Colonial Camera in Orlando is only store in Florida still selling traditional photography equipment.
    Hmm... worrisome, as I'm about to move to Tampa next month.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm down in Tampa again and will go check out Colonial Camera tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I'd love to live down here if I could find a job. It's nice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Harmon Photo (Orlando) also deal in traditional equipment, although they have moved more toward digital recently. You can still get paper, chems, film, as well as the odd bit of new gear. They do processing as well, but only in roll films. I have family in Bradenton, but I've not seen anyplace in my limited travels in and around the Tampa area that still deals in traditional gear.

- Randy
    Last edited by reellis67; 09-17-2008 at 09:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Orlando drivers are the worst. I've grown up hearing that Rhode Island drivers were the worst but Orlando has them beat by far. And they don't even have a Thurber's Ave. Death Curve exit, or a section of I-195 where three lanes of traffic squeeze together and turn left and right like a snake.. If you've driven through, you'll know what I mean. And every time you drive by, you'll look at the divider (they paint them white once a month I swear) and how it's colored black from all the cars grinding against it.

Went to Colonial Photo, it was dirty indeed. Kind of depressing but oddly enough it was busy. People buying digicams. Bought some Forte paper at a reasonable price. They had some esoteric offerings as far as chemistry goes..
    The guy at the counter was nice, informed me that some people from Brazil visit there to buy some supplies. He also said they were one of the last places in the south east..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    north tampa photo has some film stuff... closest I know of in Tampa - St. Pete.
    Lake Shore Camera in Clearwater has a small darkroom and film supply - very basic...

Shooter
    35mm
    Back to Valdosta? Have you tried Laws Camera/Photo in Macon? Its downtown on Cherry Street. And how about Dixie Theater in Albany? Across from Freds on North Slappey just north of Third Ave. Both have been around a long, long time. Both have a lot of old and interesting items.

Shooter
    35mm
    Correction, its Cokes in Macon. Laws WAS in Thomasville.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    I'm down here having a blast but would like to know if there are any good shops or stores? I like dirty camera stores filled with odds and ends, hopefully ran by a man who knows more than I do about every thing.. Like $100 Deardorff's, some post-ww2 leica's in a drum, etc.
    There was a shop just as you describe in the Red Barn flea market in Bradenton... and yes, there were boxes and barrels and drums full of cameras and miscellaneous gear. I once picked up a Tamrac Expedition backpack for a few dollars, though some of his stuff was grossly overpriced. (I think he was asking $350 for a decrepit Yashica Mat)

I was saddened to learn this last year, though that the owner had passed away and his shop had closed. I don't know what happened to his stock, though it is likely that it was "liquidated" which might mean it was carted off to a landfill. No one I spoke to could give me a clear answer as to what else may have happened. As far as I know, he was pretty much the last of his breed in the area. If anyone lives in that area, it might be a rewarding quest to find the old fellow's stock.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin