Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,612   Online: 1115

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm told by folks from the Southeastern Photo Society who've been there if you ask nicely they will let you stay after closing time to shoot in the fading light. We shall see!
    Gary Beasley

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Please understand that it's out of sher ignorance (never been to Alabama much less 'the Furnaces) that I'm asking this but why was this location chosen? What sort of photographic opportunities will there be?

Thanks for the education
    The attached shot is from Sloss (man, my scanner sucks) . Lots of cool shapes and textures there, lots of decay.

As I told Gary off-post, I wouldn't let rain keep me away. In fact, it might be a plus.

I hope to join ya'll there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sloss.JPG  
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Images
    As to food: there are a lot of great choices within 10-15 minutes of Sloss. I'm there frequently on business, and for me, B-ham is all about barbecue.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry I did not get back to you sooner... Had a little "run in" with the medicos at the hospital... OK now. Sloss furnace in naturally in an industrial area of town, but within 20 minutes is just about every kind of food place. If its barbeque you crave there are a number of locations of "Jim and Nicks". They are hard to top. I'm usually a brown bag kind of guy, but I'll meet you anywhere you like.
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, what's your take in this, since you're the local guy? Think one of these places will be a good drop in for us out of towners to meet and do intros before the shoot? It would need to be a place where you could push a few tables together if necessary. Some places are all immoveable booths and make it hard for a group to sit and chat. Another helpful quality is to be easy to find coming off the freeway.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The sloss location is just about down town Birmingham off 1st ave North. Most of the eating places 20 minutes are in the down town area too. Easy to get to and near the Sloss furnace, but maybe hard to find for first time out of towners. Maybe for those who have never been here before we might consider meeting at Sloss parking lot, then go in mass to an eatery and then return. Another option might be to meet at an interstate exit coming in to town that would be easy to find have lunch there then go into the Sloss area. Everyone coming here I think has to arrive I59, I20, or I65, so we could pick something easy to find on one of these Interstates and meet there.
    Doug in Huntsville is probably as familiar will Birmingham as I am and has been to Sloss before, so he may have ideas from his times before.
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Images
    Golden Rule BBQ in Irondale would be handy for folks coming in from Atlanta on I-20. It's right off the interstate. The exit for Sloss, 1st Ave. North, is just a couple of miles on down the road.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you have something there Doug. What do the rest of you folks planning on coming think of this plan?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm ready for ribs...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    Golden Rule BBQ in Irondale would be handy for folks coming in from Atlanta on I-20. It's right off the interstate. The exit for Sloss, 1st Ave. North, is just a couple of miles on down the road.
    That's a great idea Doug! I'll sure try to be there.

Bill

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin