Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,897   Online: 955

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    What's that I hear? Is that the taunting voice of a darkroom door?

"Valerie.... Vaaaalerieeee"

(*smirk*)

-KwM-

so mean!! get back, satan!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Large Format
    Valerie,

Go here:

http://www.eseco-speedmaster.com/doors.html

And look at the price sheet. That is what helped me with my decision!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The price list link at the top works, but the one at the bottom doesn't.
    Basically, a new 2-way door like that runs US$1400+

You're not spending US$100, you're saving US$1300!

You're not putting in a big ugly contraption, you're making yourself more available to your family when you're dark in the darkroom, and permitting them to share your darkroom more with you!

(*diabolical laughter*) Bwahahahahahahaha

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You're not putting in a big ugly contraption, you're making yourself more available to your family when you're dark in the darkroom, and permitting them to share your darkroom more with you!
    My darkroom door has a lock on it. HMmmm ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Note to future googlers, dogpilers, yahoos and of course, Apuggers reading this thread for information about rotating darkroom doors:

Don't store or transport the door on its side. When I bought mine, it was stored on a pallet on its side. We drove it from Dallas, TX to Denton, TX in a U-Haul on its side, but stored it for a year or so verticle until now, when I'm installing it in my darkroom. There's a row of rivets on each side where the metal frame attaches to the rigid plastic outer cylinder. On one side, I got a clean break right down the row of rivets. On the other, there's a stress fracture that I'll have to strengthen soon before it breaks.

It was fun and satisfying to fix with some sheet metal, black roofing epoxy and a generous supply of pop rivets, but if it wasn't broke, I would have been able to spend that time doing other things to get my darkroom in production.

caveat emptor

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://search.ebay.com/darkroom-door...inZtQQsbrsrtZd

Here's a couple of rotating darkroom doors for sale in Texas. It might even cost you more in gas go pick them up than it would to buy them. They're $100 buy it now.

I've got mine already. ($75 last year from a graphic arts place in Dallas ditching all non-digital workflow)

Very cool alternative to being trapped when you gotta be dark.

-KwM-
    According to the listing they're 400$ buy it now, not 100$
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244
    According to the listing they're 400$ buy it now, not 100$
    The link is a generic search on eBay for the term Darkroom Door. The $400 doors currently on eBay are a different auction.

I confirmed that they want only $100 for their second door when I picked mine up.

Kevin, that is good advice about not transporting the door on it's side. I had to transport the one I bought on it's side, and I was nervous about it the whole way home. Fortunately, I only live 10 miles away from where I picked it up, and I was able to take old country farm roads _slowly_ the whole way home. Thankfully I did not damage it, but you are quite correct about the fragile construction of this door.

Harold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad it worked out well, Harold.

I patched mine yesterday. In my not-yet air conditioned texas converted garage, I musta lost about five pounds through sweat riveting that sheet metal into place. I'll get a sense of satisfaction every time I spin the door, though.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Large Format
    I hear ya. My enlargers and Jobo equipment are currently in my un-air conditioned garage. I have been using it this way for quite some time. My main purpose in wanting to build a darkroom within the garage is to be able to have A/C. The winter time is bearable, but even after the sun goes down in the summer, the garage/darkroom feels like a sauna all night long.

Though I spoke to a friend at work yesterday who informed me that his friend bought one of those roll around portable A/C units that he claims does a good job at cooling the entire garage down.... Hard to believe but interesting! That could fix the heat problem, but dust control and having to open the big garage door every time I want to wash a batch of prints would still need to be addressed. And then there is the fact that I now have a big revolving door standing in the middle of my garage... I had better build that darkroom!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just ran across another one -- hundred dollar rotating darkroom door in Texas. Looks to be "downright serviceable" from the picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESECO-Speedmatic...QQcmdZViewItem

shoot... if I had the storage and a bit of capital, and knew about twice as much as I do about framing/plumbing/electrical/hvac, it'd be almost enough to make me want to just start snagging all the good darkroom stuff off eBay and go into the custom darkroom general contracting business. Want to turn your spare bathroom/closet/space under the stairs/garage into a darkroom? Just call us.

Maybe I'm just having way too much fun finishing out my own garage converted darkroom.

-KwM-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin