Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,948   Posts: 1,585,927   Online: 1029

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

100 Great American Photographs: Amon Carter Museum: July 1–August 20, 2006

Attention North Texas folks:

http://www.cartermuseum.org/Exhibiti...phs/index.html

Gonna try and take this in tomorrow morning.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kevin:

Did you ever see this show? How was it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope. Made plans to see it two or three times, and something else always came up.

Hopefully, I'll see it before it leaves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, David and I are going this Sunday
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hrm... E-Mail, PM or IM me particulars as you decide them, if you've got room for a third.
    Dunno what my sched is yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It'll actually be 4 if you go, Kevin, as a friend of mine will probably be joining us.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can give you my impression on this...saw it a couple of weekends ago with a friend. It starts with a full-plate dag (a very nice one I might add), then runs through the different process/artist...lots and lots of albumen prints (all of very nice quality) then once it gets out of the pure platinum or palladium prints (then a mix) is moves to the silver prints. Here is breaks by artist from the same periods, Nell Dorr (sp?), Carl Struss, Erwin Smith, Adams, Weston, Steichen, Gene Smith, Robert Adams, Minor White, the FSA/WPA folks - Walker Evans, Laura Gilpin, etc, some of the great Life folks, a nice Avedon I had not seen, and ends with 3 LARGE ink jet prints.

There are some local photogs represented - Peter Feresten, which was nice to see. A good show all in all, some really great looking Carbro prints (a process I would like to hear more about - Great color), one of Ed Curtis orotones (a personal favorite of this type was not in the show though).

What was missing strangely enough were ambrotypes and tintypes ... nothing, which I thought was strange. Since Lee was kind enough to show me some of the digital outputs he had received from different folks can say that the ink jets in the show ar so-so, not anywhere as good as other works I have seen - they were just big.

Enjoy, I will be interested in hearing your impressions after you go.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin (kwmullet), David Brown, Jeremy (and his lovely friend) and I all met up today for the talk by Peter Fresten. While the others did not get the chance to see the exhibit, Peter talked for 2 HOURS!!! Showing us slides of his work, and describing each one.

It was like enjoying a living retrospective of his life and work. What could have been his biography, he shared - in his own words, his life as a photographer with commentary on each work....a very good way to spend an afternoon, with much to reflect upon.

Hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did....it was good, as always, to see everyone.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did....it was good, as always, to see everyone.
    Definitely agreed! I'll just have to make another trip out to see the exhibit and see if I can con my lovely friend into accompanying me again....

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Kevin:

Did you ever see this show? [...]
    nope. :P

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin