Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,558   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 952

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hiroshi Sugimoto at the Fort Worth Modern

September 12
    Hiroshi Sugimoto is one of the most significant Japanese artists to emerge in the last thirty years. In his photographic series, as well as his experiments with sculptural objects, architecture, and exhibition design, he attempts to highlight and expand our perception of such abstract qualities as time, light, space, movement, spirit, and even the nature of reality itself. As David Elliott and Ned Rifkin explain in the exhibition catalogue for Hiroshi Sugimoto: End of Time, the artist "creates intense visual experiences that challenge traditional notions of photography and perception." For Tuesday Evenings, Sugimoto graciously offers insight into the brilliantly compelling work found in the Modern's special exhibition of his work.
    He'll be lecturing on the 12th of September, but (and this is 100% ridiculuous) his exhibition doesn't open until the 17th of September.

Fort Worth Museum of Modern Art
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgot to add that I'll be there along with my history of photography class.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stopped in at the Modern this afternoon on a whim (went to see the tintypes at the Cowgirl Museum and the Bound For Glory exhibit at the Amon Carter; also had to stop in at the Kimbell and see the Caravaggio, as there's nothing like standing a foot away from 15 million dollars)(I do so love the museum district sometimes), didn't even realize they had a new exhibit.

The Sugimoto show ranges from merely good (there are a couple of lone pieces by themselves) to mind-blowingly brilliant (the Buddhas, the theatres, the architecture series, the water). Conceptually rigorous, but better than that - no need for a book-length artist's statement, the images speak for themselves (and ferociously - the World Trade Center image is arresting for reasons that have nothing to do with 9/11, the theater series is positively hallucinogenic).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a fabulous show. I saw it at the Hirshhorn. Don't miss it if you're in the area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Went to Cowgirl Museum and the Modern - The seascapes at the Sugimoto exhibit were my favorites. Cowgirl Museum has some great exhibits - the little cinema is a hoot. Tintypes?? Must have missed those!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sionnac View Post
    Tintypes?? Must have missed those!
    They have an exhibit of around 40 of Rob Kendrick's tintypes, if it was up when you were there then you *couldn't* have missed it. I think you went the weekend before the show was hung (it is in the featured exhibit room).

blog
    website

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin