Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,244   Online: 800

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet View Post
    Do you guys give prints to the communities whose churches you photograph, or maybe even duplicate prints so one could be stored with the church and one stored elsewhere in case something happens to the church?

I can envision some ten year old child seeing a high-quality hand-crafted photographic print for the first time and being influenced to spend her life behind the viewfinder, documenting the world around her.
    Good question! The fact is, when we started this project, it was really a personal project for us and we did not (realistically) envision getting the exposure and attention that has happened. Now that we have an exhibition mounted and have "been on TV", we shall have to get serious. We have discussed giving the churches a print or two, but really haven't reached any conclusions. This is one of the items we will discuss real soon, when we decide "what's next?"

One problem with doing this, though, it that we are not "successful" at every church. Some churches we get images we want people to see, some we don't.

Most of the churches are empty when we visit, but the ones where someone is present or comes in while we're there have generally been pleasant encounters. Most pastors and parishioners are thrilled that we are in "their" church, but I don't recall that anyone has ever asked for a print. At one church, there was an older man doing some maintenance. This was a country church that had dwindled down to about 30 members. While we were there, he showed us some pictures he had taken of the church. I just happened to have some workprints in the car that day (usually don't, of course) and had an image from that very church. So, I went out to the car and got it and handed it to the gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet View Post
    The opening scene when the church doors open, sunlight pours in and Mike, Matthew, Lee, David and Jeremy walk in with cameras and tripods slung over their shoulders was something straight out of a spaghetti western.
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I always appreciate the updates David. I've got the site bookmarked, and enjoy visiting it from time to time. Even though I haven't been to Texas in more than 15 years, I still think of it as a great place to visit.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome, guys!!!! Looks like a great show... I ordered the dvd!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can hardly wait to see it (and the guys!) in person!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also ordered the DVd, can't wait to see it. Congratulation to all of you. It looks like a great show.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations to you all. I think it is great to explore a subject in this way and I should imagine that a great sense of camaraderie exists within the group.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Church Project Show at UNT is stunning! It was such a pleasure to visit with all of you at the reception last night. You all did a truly amazing job (David's model seems to have worked out great!). Now on to more churches, more shows!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto!

It was wonderful to see the guys there (and touch base with Valerie too!) The gallery manager seemed pleased as punch that so many folks came. Seemed to me to be pretty packed from beginning to end, and each of the guys seemed to be highly in demand, being pulled over for questions and praise from another person as soon as they got done talking to the previous one.

Wonderful, stunning work. Since I'm lucky enough to live down the street from UNT, I'll have to visit the show several more times so I can soak more of it in. Really, there's more there than my wee brain can soak up in one visit.

Mike, Matthew, Lee, David, Jeremy: Thanks very very much for bringing such wonderful work to this show. I really could go on and on, but words are pretty much inadequate to convey the experience.

-KwM-

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin