Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,318   Online: 1127

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    John,

I'm interested. Any idea regarding rental fees? Do we supply our own chems or might we purchase those ready mixed? I only expect to need C-41 (or whatever is the current process). I doubt I'll be doing any of my own printing since I'm scanning color negs and manipulating them in photoshop.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Good Afternoon Mike,

I have been trying to come up with a good way to make this work for everyone... I haven't even got to the point of figuring up the rental fees, I have some more research to do in that department. My initial thought was a monthly base rental fee and then I would stock the more common chemistry and then have a separate billing based on how much film was used. That way if someone only wanted to use some exotic process they could bring their own chemicals and wouldn't be paying for any of the chemicals that they weren't going to use.

Like I said, I'm still in the planning stages at this point so please feel free to make suggestions / comments, etc.

Thanks,

John

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    There have been some rental rooms like this in austin, but really dont last. The problem stems from the time issue-- a lot of people are initially interested and may even pay into it, but by the end of the first year or so the numbers of people still interested and paying has dwindled to the point of not paying for the space.

I went whole hog and built my own space in my garage-- uncooled and unusable for 6 months of the year, but 100 percent mine. Would I consider renting it? no-- mainly because it's just fine for me, but would be embarrassing to show the wall studs, the inch of dust, etc. My entire space cost maybe 100 bucks to build including space for three enlargers, a sink 8ft x 2 ft made of wood, and places to dry film and prints. I think anyone with a bit of imagination and handiness with a saw and hammer can build a fine space and perhaps much better than mine.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Good Evening Jeff,

That's kind of what I had figured... I'm building the dark room mainly for myself and don't really mind sharing, especially if doing so will offset some of the cost of the build-out. I have the spare space in the back of my shop so it's paid for whether I end up with anyone who wants to rent time there or not.

Talk about not being usable for 6 months out of the year... My tap water is 80+ right now (after cooling down for about five minutes). Never had that issue up in Kansas. Of course we buried our water lines more than a foot underground to prevent freezing so they stayed cooler in the summer as well. Luckily I've got several chillers lying around with nothing to do so I'm sure I'll end up retrofitting one of those into the darkroom, at least to temper the Jobo water bath.

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    John,

It sounds like you're setting up a nice darkroom. Water chillers are a must during summer the summer months in the hotter states. What film processing formats are you going to offer?

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Good Afternoon Mike,

Yes, the water temps down here surprised me. I actually went out and bought a new thermometer because I thought mine had gone T/U! Fortunately one of my other hobbies is playing around with lasers so I have several good chillers that should take care of that problem. I'm actually in the process of modifying the Jobo to mate up with one of my small chillers (a little bigger than a shoe box). This unit will actually do heat and cooling both so my plan is to set it up with the Jobo and allow it to do 100% of the temperature control for the Jobo. It should react more quickly and much more accurately than the stock Jobo heater and cold water inlet solenoid.

As for formats... I picked up a pretty extensive Jobo system that will handle anything from 35mm up to and including 8x10 film. Larger than that could always be done in trays in the sink (I don't currently have any ULF trays, but would certainly consider picking up a set if it meant bringing in another renter or two). I'm still collecting equipment, but do have an 8x10 enlarger already so we're covered up through 8x10.

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello John,

All that sounds great. The one thing I would be wary of is going overboard on cost of gear to get another renter or two. For those wanting something special and pricey maybe you could give those people free rent for awhile if they buy and donate the gear... or at least if help pay for it?

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    I am new to the forum and from San Antonio, Tx.

Jim Marshall

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello and welcome, Jim. I'm in SATX too. Your name sounds familiar to me but I haven't a clue why.

Shooter
    35mm
    i'm in leon springs and i'm interested. i know two other people that might be interested as well.

mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin