Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,159   Online: 963

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Does anyone plan on getting together Saturday morning for a shoot? Personally, I would like to check out the missions.
    Pat Doyle

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Looking forward to the shindig, getting to meet some new people, see some work, and hopefully get out shooting some.

Pat I know that David Brown was planning on "leading" a jaunt down to the Missions on Friday.
    I will most likely be trying to do last minute stuff on Sat morn in prep for people showing up around noonish. If I shoot at all sat morn, itll likely be somewhere close by. Theres a few small towns and such nearby that are always nice.

My phone number is listed on the webpage here, as it gets closer you are more than welcome to call or email me, hopefully people will keep this thread updated about their plans.

again, really looking forward to the get together.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in SA last week and briefly shot two the missions in 5x7 on Friday. Be prepared to tell the rangers that you are taking pictures for personal use only, or get yourself a permit if you plan on taking commercial shots.

They were immediately unfriendly with me, but my relaxed and non-defensive response seemed to disarm them slightly.

They didn't seem to believe any sane person would carry that much gear for personal use. I often ponder that myself...

I think the hours are from 9-5, so the lighting is not ideal, but the Fall sun is low enough that my shots turned out decent.

Have fun. Wish I could go back for the get together!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdoyle View Post
    Does anyone plan on getting together Saturday morning for a shoot? Personally, I would like to check out the missions.
    Pat Doyle
    Pat:

I don't have anything formally planned, but I did offer to "guide" anybody that wanted to do the missions. However, I had mentioned Friday for 2 reasons. One was there will be fewer people than on Saturdays, and also I don't think there will be enough time to get to SA, shoot, and back to Canyon Lake by Noon. (I am staying in Wimberley, just north of the lake location where we're meeting. Even discounting the travel time to and from SA, the four missions (I am leaving out the Alamo - officially one of the 5, but not the best for what we do) are spread out a bit and there is some travel time between all of them.

So, (to make a long story short) I don't think there is enough time on Sat Morning.

Mike Castles has some plans for Sat morning, however, and barring anything else, I was planning to join him and I'm sure you would be welcome too. There's some Hill Country scenery closer to Canyon Lake that I think he's planning on for Saturday.

But, stay tuned to this thread. As the date gets closer, more things will firm up.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not being able to attend but reading the threads nevertheless, I feel 'drawn in' to the event to the extent that I would like to hear how it all unfolds and what participants do during it. Will there be a blog and perhaps some pictures of locations and participants' photographic results ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Mike Castles has some plans for Sat morning, however, and barring anything else, I was planning to join him and I'm sure you would be welcome too. There's some Hill Country scenery closer to Canyon Lake that I think he's planning on for Saturday.
    Nothing formal so this could change with the wind.

Friday - head over to Guadalupe River State Park, early and might be there an hour, might be there all day. It will depend on what the park is like crowd wise, the light, weather, etc. Was also thinking about Pedernales State Park later in the day.

Saturday morning - wanted to stay close, if any extra hands are needed by our host to help set up anything. However, I would not mind going back to Guadalupe SP or even the town of Blanco (or Blanco SP), as they are close by. If the water level is low enough (and I think it is) there are some interesting rock formations at the spillway (dam) of Canyon Lake that was uncovered recently by flood waters.

Roy, I do plan to take some photos of the gathering (probably a mix of film and digi-snaps) and would be happy to post some of them as well as a blog of what was going on on my Rambles. Sorry you can't make it, would love to meet you but understand the distance problem.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just realized that it might be nice to describe what is at the locations I plan to shoot at on Friday/Saturday....do check the links ot the parks on Matts website for the get together it will help if you do not know much about the locations.

Guadalupe State Park - the main attraction, for me anyhow, is the river itself. There are some small rapids/falls that could be interesting, and then there are the Cypress tress - for me the main attraction. They live right on the rivers edge or even in the river and have these great 'knees' that rise out of the ground at the base. If we get a little low level fog all the better to work with.

Pedernales State Park - Rocks!! Big Rocks and water running over them, through them. Lots of small falls, pools in the rock an interesting landscape.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I plan on being there but only for a short time.
    A series of conflicts popped up and are stretching me to be in a few places at the same time.
    As it stands now, I'll be bringing the wetplate stuff down and do a demo saturday around noon.
    I'll probably get there earlier to set up stuff and take a few photos.
    However, I need to split around 2 or 2:30 (bummed I can't stick around).
    Scott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Once again, family gets in the way of my photographic fun. My Sister-in-law who has not visited in 15 years is coming that weekend. Can you believe it??? sorry to miss the fun.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just a bit of an update.

As scott mentioned, he's gonna generously demo the wetplate collodion process for us. Which I'm very grateful to him for doing. - Scott, Ill bring a fresh bottle of collodion and all my glass/chems/supplies so you don't have to burn through all yours. If possible I'll pour some as well and demo some.

Everything seems to be coming together. There is a local BBQ joint about 2 mins from the house thats gonna provide us with food to devour. Please bring a couple bucks to donate for the food fund ($10 a person maybe?). Also, reminder to bring any beverages you'll wanna consume (cerveza, vino, etc etc). I know I'll be enjoying a few Lone Stars.

Also, I got bored on friday night and made some Tshirt designs and put them on Cafepress. No profit on my end... just thought people would enjoy them.

CafePress TX Shindig Tshirts

For those of you not familiar with Texas history, the "Come and Take a Photo" Tshirt is in reference/spoof to the flag from the Battle of Gonzales.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin