Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,223   Online: 1060

Shooter
    Medium Format

Desperate in Dallas

Hello, I somewhat recently (4 months ago) moved to Dallas from New England/New York and have had far more difficulty finding a photo related job here than I thought I would. I don't know if the industry in this area has shrunk since I moved, perhaps due to the economy or if I just don't know where to look or what. It seemed like there were tons of classifieds for jobs in the photo industry prior to me moving here that were easy to find.
    I have a BFA in Photo from Rhode Island School of Design, one of the best schools in the country, often beating out every school, even Yale in national college rankings, and is one of if not the most prestigious and competitive schools in the world with a far reaching reputation. Except for that there seems to be a bubble over Dallas that has prevented anyone from hearing of RISD. I've assisted for some very successful photographers, freelanced as a photographer and digital tech/imaging artist, taught, etc.
    I'm basically looking for any kind of job that is related to photography and that i can pay my rent, bills and student loans from. Whether it's as a full time photographer's/studio assistant, administrative assistant, digital imaging, sales, anything really.
    If anyone has any advice on where to look or companies to pursue in and around Dallas I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Amanda

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck, Amanda.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Amanda,

Join TexasPhotoForum.com . There is a DFW subforum where you may find some useful contacts.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pandacam View Post
    I have a BFA in Photo from Rhode Island School of Design, one of the best schools in the country, often beating out every school, even Yale in national college rankings, and is one of if not the most prestigious and competitive schools in the world with a far reaching reputation.
    from the perspective of the magazine world (which is pretty photo dependent), the "RISD" thing means very little, the work experience is what employers are more than likely to center on. Thats just the experience I've had in the 6+ yrs I've been in the magazine world.

One of your best bets is to check with artsquad.
    They have locations in Dallas/Fort Worth.

http://www.artsquad.com/contact-us/
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, there is a website called craigslist.org (click on your city) that has job listings. Good luck!

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is very true for most professions. Credentials matter a whole lot less than convincing an employer that you can create value for them that exceeds that amount they will pay you.
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    from the perspective of the magazine world (which is pretty photo dependent), the "RISD" thing means very little, the work experience is what employers are more than likely to center on. Thats just the experience I've had in the 6+ yrs I've been in the magazine world.

One of your best bets is to check with artsquad.
    They have locations in Dallas/Fort Worth.

http://www.artsquad.com/contact-us/
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    35mm
    In photography land, nobody ever cared where I went to school. As a matter of fact, focusing on school credentials sort of bleats "inexperienced", at least in commercial photography world, even if it isn't the truth. You didn't say exactly what kind of work you were interested in, but the reference to assisting may indicate a commercial bend. The two things that get you work in commercial world are working and networking, and the best advice I can give you is to get involved on any level you can, and attend functions where creative directors, photographers, and ad people are in attendance. Try to get on sets doing anything at all. If nobody knows who you are, you are nobody. It's rough at first, but if you work at it, you will catch a break.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for some of the links, although I do check craigslist habitually....you'd think it was heroin with how often I check it. There just aren't listings there, but I will definitely check out some of the other websites recommended.
    I guess my problem is that I don't know how to find out who is shooting in Dallas, where they're shooting, for whom they're shooting, etc. The industry is just turning out to be entirely different than in New York and New England.
    I do have credentials outside of school. Aside from my regular retail, administrative, food service, etc. jobs, I've assisted for some very successful photographers in New York and freelanced as a photographer but primarily as a digital tech and consultant. I've dabbled with teaching and tutoring and do have interest in that, my very long term goals do include pursuing a Masters. But until then I just need semi-stable jobs.
    Right now I'm just looking for literally anything involved with photo, ideally something that would involve digital imaging. But I've even applied for a receptionist job at a photo lab, which is something that right now I'd be happy with, I just need to be involved with photo in any way to keep me sane and it's hard right now because I have no connections here at all. I'm completely new to the area, have no friends, family, colleagues, classmates, nothing in Texas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No nothing about the commercial end, other than some bits from direct contact. There is a market, though it may seem hard to find. If you can make it over to Southside on Lamar, Sat 6-8, there are three of us having a show at the Janette Kennedy Gallery. Southside is a small artist market, and I know there is at least one photographer working in there. Check out some of the local Texas Photographic Society folks that might be working in the area, and see if there isn't a local PP of A chapter with contacts. Also, consider some of the shops where these folks might be looking for rental equipment - Light TEC in Dallas is one, stop talk with the guys at the counter, pick their brains..they might have something, might not. Good luck

BTW - there is an area refered to as the photo distrct, medical district, market district, etc that runs along Industrial Ave, and you might try contacting some of the grad school folks at UNT (there are one or two that drop by here).
    Mike C

Rambles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin