Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,905   Online: 1182

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Camera shop recommendations in the Dallas area?

I just moved to Frisco, TX from San Antonio and would like to hear where people in the Dallas area go to buy film, paper, chemicals. I know all this can be bought cheaply online but I prefer to support a local store if possible. I do 35mm and medium format black and white and also look for shops with a decent used department for film cameras and lenses. The closer to home the better but I doubt I'll find much in Frisco/Plano so I'm willing to drive. Anybody have place(s) they can recommend? Thanks in advance...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not much available any more. I shop at Freestyle these days. You can check out,
    Competitive Camera
    Dallas Camera
    Don's Photo Equipment
    They each have a little of something. Make sure and check film exp. dates, most of the paper has been on the shelves for a long time. I get what I want in about 3 days from Freestyle.
    There is also Arlington Camera and Fort Worth has a store but they are a bit of a drive. Good Luck.

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Robert - thanks for your help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Robert gave you the list. Competitive is probably OK for film. Arlington Camera is likely the best bet for darkroom.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for Arlington Camera. They've reduced their photo chemistry inventory a bit, but I can usually find what I'm looking for in the Kodak, Ilford and Edwal product lines.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just a quick/late update - I have now been to all three of these places. Competitive Camera is a very well-stocked place for digital, pro/commercial etc. with knowledgeable staff but no longer carries film and has no dedicated used analog equipment section, at least when I was there. But if I was a working pro in this day and age, I'd definitely do business with them.

Don's is a cool place in its own way but basically just a mess (literally - disorganized piles!) of old used stuff - cameras, lenses, darkroom, and motion picture cams/projectors but they do sell the black & white films I use for a reasonable price. There is VERY little new camera equipment but oddly they had the full Zeiss lens line in stock for both Canon and Nikon - including the latest models compatible with the digital SLRs & prices were pretty much what you'd pay at one of the big internet places. "Todd" there was very helpful and let me take out several and handle them. They have a fair amount of b&w darkroom chemicals & paper from Kodak & Ilford - they actually still have boxes of Kodak b&w paper on the shelf which I know hasn't been made in a while. I checked to see if it was Ektalure (loved that stuff!) and when I saw it wasn't, I didn't pay more attention to what it was...maybe Polycontrast?

Arlington Camera - by far my favorite of all three, but a longer drive so I don't get there as much. Yes, they have all the latest/greatest digital stuff but their film and darkroom chemicals/paper sections are more extensive than I've seen in a small independent shop in quite some time. I went in at about 11:00 on a weekday and the place was bustling - nice to see. They had plenty of salespeople who seem to know their stuff and have a great customer service ethic.

My two cents...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't been to Don's in a while. Don may have added the darkroom supplies when Competitive (down the street) stopped stocking anything. I'll check it out.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin