Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,695   Online: 877

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That doubling is not necessarily wrong since it matches the Photographers Formulary version (dry, not liquid). Due to transport constraints I can only buy the dry version from PF and in the instructions that comes with it, and inside the powder bag, the potassium bromide has 0.2g. This matches the table found in this app. I have been doing it like that for almost a year with such great results that I have not yet forced myself to try making a version with only 0.1g. But this has bugged quite a bit me since I know that Sandy King's site on Pyrocat has only 0.1g. Does anyone here knows the differences and what to be expected by a change in the pot. bromide of the formula? Thanks
    raul

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    Ok, I downloaded it and did a quick check on a formula I use routinely. The Pyrocat HD formula lists double the amount of Pot. Bromide than is currently recommended.

I wonder if other formulas are reported correctly.

No citric acid based stop bath included either.

I look forward to seeing updates.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I suspect that you may want to adjust the amount of KBr anyway on the basis of results with the film and exposure methods you're actually using.

KBr is a restrainer, so too much will reduce your contrast range and wipe out your shadow detail when used in a negative film developer. In a print developer, adding a restrainer like KBr or benzotriazole can keep your whites clean.

That's part of the attraction of mixing your own chemicals.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 02-06-2014 at 08:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmartins View Post
    That doubling is not necessarily wrong since it matches the Photographers Formulary version (dry, not liquid). Due to transport constraints I can only buy the dry version from PF and in the instructions that comes with it, and inside the powder bag, the potassium bromide has 0.2g. This matches the table found in this app. I have been doing it like that for almost a year with such great results that I have not yet forced myself to try making a version with only 0.1g. But this has bugged quite a bit me since I know that Sandy King's site on Pyrocat has only 0.1g. Does anyone here knows the differences and what to be expected by a change in the pot. bromide of the formula? Thanks
    raul
    Here is the link to Sandy's post regarding reduced KBr levels: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...-hd-notes.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitaltruth View Post
    Darkroom Formulas App
    for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad

http://www.digitaltruth.com/apps/darkroomformulas/

Our new Darkroom Formulas app contains an offline database with over 160 recipes for Film Developers, Print Developers, Toners, Intensifiers, Reducers and Alternative processes. If you routinely or occasionally mix formulas, the built in Volume Mixer will adjust all quantities on-the-fly, allowing you to quickly mix the exact amount you need without needing to make any calculation! No more mistakes, no more rummaging around for bits of paper in your lab.

The app allows you to modify existing formulas or enter your own, share, export/import and save.

Key Features:

• Powerful Volume Mixer adjusts all ingredients on-the-fly
    • Offline database - no internet connection required
    • Over 160 formulas included
    • Add, Edit & Share you own formulas
    • Lifetime free updates, no ads, no add-ons
    • The easy-to-use interface allows you to view the recipes, copy or add your own. Each formula can be divided in up to three parts and each part can contain up to ten ingredients in ml, g, oz, drops, tsp or grains, allowing a total of up to 30 ingredients. Separate areas allow you to view/store specific Mixing Instructions, Dilution, Usage and Notes.

All of the formulas listed on the Digitaltruth web site are included in the app.

Built for iOS7, the universal app is compatible with iOS 5.1.1+ and will run on any suitable iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. An Android version will follow if enough people want it, so let us know!

Lifetime free updates. No ads, no add-ons.
    I'm using the tapatalk app for iPhone and the link doesn't work ON MY IPHONE haha, can't get to the app!

I'll look it up in the App Store of course, but just wanted you to know.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks to both David for the info about the purpose of potassium bromide and to Dave for the link on Sandy's take on Pyrocat reformulation. This is great news to me since I have finally managed to buy all the "ingredients" and can finally start mixing the developer myself. I will start doing some experimentation pretty soon.
    raul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin