Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,519   Online: 1024

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    We have always stated that we have to run a viable business FOR THE LONG TERM and therefore in what is still a declining analog silver market we will inevitably have to adjust our pricing at certain times.
    Dear Simon,
    Having spent the morning printing Delta 100 and HP5+ negs on Galerie paper, all I can say is, if I have to pay a little more, I'll pay a little more to keep printing my favorite films on my favorite paper. It still beats printing nothing on nothing.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Dear Simon,
    Having spent the morning printing Delta 100 and HP5+ negs on Galerie paper, all I can say is, if I have to pay a little more, I'll pay a little more to keep printing my favorite films on my favorite paper. It still beats printing nothing on nothing.

Aw, come on. Printing on your favourite film on your favourite paper beats printing ANYTHING else on ANYTHING!

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    They raised the prices here in Japan on Ilford products back in November, by about 8 percent or so. So its certainly not limited to North America, while its not the best thing for us, its the price we are going to have to pay to keep using film. And I will happily keep paying as long as I can.

Gary
    Gary, I rememeber something like that, too in the last fall, if it was not the direct result from the price increase back in June. However, there's no notice on Chugai's website about the fall, so that must be something else.

Speaking of which, I cannot afford to buy 25 sheet-pack of 8x10 WT FB paper for about 5,000 yen (45-48 bucks) each from Chugai. I was simply shocked when I wanted to get one recently and found out the latest price. Even the neutral type is set pretty high now, and I don't know how that competes a 50 sheet-box of Fuji (creamy-white base, neutral). Oriental is set back to the normal retail price, too, at least at the stores I buy the stuff.

My pocket is as deep as everyone else's. I don't think Ilford "directors" know the dilemma over here, which I repeatedly say. Well, they've lost me now, but don't worry it's just me, one customer.
    Last edited by firecracker; 01-09-2007 at 06:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN View Post
    Actually, I was just noticing the the prices that Freestyle has on their Fuji Neopan... I might have to try some. I doubt it will be able to tempt me away from Ilford films, though, even with a 7% increase.
    Once you try neopan 400, you may never look back...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Ilford

This may or may not be proper but if you are looking to beat the price increase I still have 3 boxes of HP5/100 sheet left from my post Christmas Hangover Sale.
    Act now or forever hold your piece!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're in the UK then the current offers on Ilford Multigrade from Nova and Secondhand Darkroom Supplies and probably other retailers make Ilford products a pretty good bargain.

The second last thing exporters like Ilford need is the current trend in the £/$ exchange rate or any other £/other currency rate in which it has a market. The last and fatal thing it needs is selling in the U.S. or other countries at a loss.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    If you're in the UK then the current offers on Ilford Multigrade from Nova and Secondhand Darkroom Supplies and probably other retailers make Ilford products a pretty good bargain.

The second last thing exporters like Ilford need is the current trend in the £/$ exchange rate or any other £/other currency rate in which it has a market. The last and fatal thing it needs is selling in the U.S. or other countries at a loss.

pentaxuser
    Yes.

I would hazard to guess that the first price rise in June was the "normal" annual increase. The second, just announced, was probably due to the exchange rate situation, Perhaps due to the expiration of a currency hedge contract and the consequent need to adjust prices while rewriting a new hedge for pounds v. dollar exposure?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silver, as a commodity, is also starting to pose a problem for professional/industrial users.

And it isn't just the $-denominated price of silver (which, I seeas I write this, has gone above 13 USD, once again). Distributors are requiring greater volume purchases of the stuff than before. It could be that Ilford has to put larger orders in than previously...

To put this in perspective, I heard from my dentist that week that it's now virtually impossible to use silver in dental amalgam for fillings. Much of that had been replaced by composite-style fillings but amalgam is still better for the chewing surfaces of back teeth. Simply put, dental supply houses can't stock the stuff because they have to put too much money up front to get it.

Silver seems to be getting sucked up as a relatively oil-neutral (not sensitive to the "petrodollar" phenomenon) currency hedge by India and selected countries. And I suspect this problem could be with us for a while.

I hope this doesn't pose a problem to smaller uses of the stuff (Foma, Kentmere, Efke), and I have know immediate reason to suspect that it does, but it seems every little macroeconomic sneeze causes the analog manufacturers to catch a cold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=aldevo;421062]Silver, as a commodity, is also starting to pose a problem for professional/industrial users.

And it isn't just the $-denominated price of silver (which, I see as I write this, has gone above 13 USD, once again). Distributors are requiring greater volume purchases of the stuff than before. It could be that Ilford has to put larger orders in than previously...

To put this in perspective, I heard from my dentist this week that it's now virtually impossible to use silver in dental amalgam for fillings. Much of that had been replaced by composite-style fillings but amalgam is still better for the chewing surfaces of back teeth. Simply put, dental supply houses can't stock the stuff because they have to put too much money up front to get it in the volumes the brokers want to sell it at.

Silver seems to be getting sucked up as a relatively oil-neutral (not sensitive to the "petrodollar" phenomenon) currency hedge by India and selected countries. And I suspect this problem could be with us for a while.

I hope this doesn't pose a problem to smaller uses of the stuff (Foma, Kentmere, Efke), and I have know immediate reason to suspect that it does, but it seems every little macroeconomic sneeze causes the analog manufacturers to catch a cold.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Aldevo,

I am sure this issue of the high price of silver will be with us for some time...and yes we do have to buy silver in volume...we actually buy it by the tonne! so you can work that bill out for yourself !

Kind Regards

Simon / ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin