Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,561   Online: 1311

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sjperry View Post
    Vivitar makes a couple of SLR's which use the K-mount. Seem to be decent basic mechanical SLR's, with TTL meter, much like the classic Minolta SRT's. These are listed on the Freestyle and Calumet websites around $150! The Zeiss lenses might be great additions to this camera. I haven't looked at one of these Vivitars in person, but maybe I will. I couldn't find anything on them on Vivitars US website but they are listed on the UK website. Go figure.
    I've got a Vivitar V3800N. I'm not sure if that's the model you're thinking of, but it fits your basic description. It seems like a decent basic camera to me -- but my experience is with fairly inexpensive gear to begin with (there are no Nikon cameras or Zeiss lenses in my collection). It's manual-everything and seems solidly constructed, by modern standards (in other words, it's not built like a tank the way cameras were built a few decades ago). My hunch is that most people who buy $150 Vivitar SLRs would balk at the price tags on the Zeiss lenses described in this thread. Certainly they're outside of my own price range. (I keep reading this thread and hoping I'll win the lottery -- but that's especially unlikely since I don't buy lottery tickets! )

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, I think the Vivitar SLR camera may be made by Cosina, which I believe also makes the Contax rangefinder and Voigtlander camera (different lens mounts, of course).

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Really? I didn't know that. Have you any more information? I'm intrigued.
    Roger
    Marc Small just confirmed to me that The K-mount was part of an attempt to produce an Asahi-Zeiss camera.
    It seems Asahi did not feel up to meeting the Zeiss criteria
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Roger
    Marc Small just confirmed to me that The K-mount was part of an attempt to produce an Asahi-Zeiss camera.
    Mark
    Dear Mark,

Thanks very much. I'll see if my friends at Oberkochen can add any more to the story.

Cheers,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi, I think the Vivitar SLR camera may be made by Cosina, which I believe also makes the Contax rangefinder and Voigtlander camera (different lens mounts, of course).

Jon
    That's what I was thinking as well..... No mirror lock up on that Vivitar v3800n. That's a deal breaker for me. I'll stick with my vintage K2s. And like someone else said, should I win the lottery I'll consider some of these Zeiss lenses for them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I've got a Vivitar V3800N. I'm not sure if that's the model you're thinking of, but it fits your basic description. It seems like a decent basic camera to me -- but my experience is with fairly inexpensive gear to begin with (there are no Nikon cameras or Zeiss lenses in my collection). It's manual-everything and seems solidly constructed, by modern standards (in other words, it's not built like a tank the way cameras were built a few decades ago). My hunch is that most people who buy $150 Vivitar SLRs would balk at the price tags on the Zeiss lenses described in this thread. Certainly they're outside of my own price range. (I keep reading this thread and hoping I'll win the lottery -- but that's especially unlikely since I don't buy lottery tickets! )
    Possibly your right, but my point of view is give me a good basis camera that has mechanical film transport and mechanical shutter. Add the best glass, and what more do I need? I do not need or even want auto focus, motor film advance and a bunch of electronics to go bad. Of course I shoot mostly with Rollei TLR's and occasionally a Linhof 4x5, so they are similar concept, different size.
    Steve Perry

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Or perhaps vice versa.

Chris

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin