Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,927   Online: 924

Shooter
    35mm RF

New Zeiss 50mm F1.5 for Nikon rangefinders

I just received this email from Zeiss this morning.....

In response to requests from many photography enthusiasts around the world, a special edition of the Sonnar T* 1.5/50 has been designed for traditional rangefinder cameras using an S-bayonet lens mount. This new lens will provide fans of these historic cameras with a new, state-of-the art optical system.

This special Sonnar T* 1.5/50 for classic S mount rangefinder cameras will be produced per order only. Dealers wishing to purchase this lens for resale have the opportunity to place a nonbinding order until December 31, 2007. This is a one-time opportunity, Zeiss will not stock the lens and there are no plans to manufacture the lens again in the future.

The estimated delivery date is planned for spring of 2008. The price is still uncertain, since it is volume dependant and will be based on the number of orders received worldwide. It is expected the price will be somewhere in the range of $1,300 - $1,400 each. A technical data sheet is included with this announcement, which includes all of the currently available information on the lens.

If your interested in ordering one you can contact me with an email.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I just received this email from Zeiss this morning.....

In response to requests from many photography enthusiasts around the world, a special edition of the Sonnar T* 1.5/50 has been designed for traditional rangefinder cameras using an S-bayonet lens mount. This new lens will provide fans of these historic cameras with a new, state-of-the art optical system.

This special Sonnar T* 1.5/50 for classic S mount rangefinder cameras will be produced per order only. Dealers wishing to purchase this lens for resale have the opportunity to place a nonbinding order until December 31, 2007. This is a one-time opportunity, Zeiss will not stock the lens and there are no plans to manufacture the lens again in the future.

The estimated delivery date is planned for spring of 2008. The price is still uncertain, since it is volume dependant and will be based on the number of orders received worldwide. It is expected the price will be somewhere in the range of $1,300 - $1,400 each. A technical data sheet is included with this announcement, which includes all of the currently available information on the lens.

If your interested in ordering one you can contact me with an email.
    -Rob
    This is amazing news - 'cepting, Rob, who's making it? Is it CZ in Germany or is in CV in Japan (the latter being under CZ "supervision", of course )?

Since CV was making the now discontinued R2C a while back, I wonder if they are the makers of this lens?

Note: Nothing wrong with that, per se.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I checked the bit of info I have on the lens but it doesn't say where they will be made.
    What I do know is.... 6 elements/4 groups..... near focus .9 meters... 43mm filter....190g ..... silver
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Images
    What is an "s-mount?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    What is an "s-mount?"
    The Nikon S-mount was used for it's line of rangefinder cameras - almost all of which from the early-1950's until production ceased were nomenclatured as "S" models (e.g. S2, S3, SP and S4).

The S-mount is compatible with the Contax C-mount up to the 50mm. Beyond that they are incompatible because of slightly different film planes. Contax cameras were made by Zeiss.

If you look up the recent thread started by Snegron regarding his ill-fated attempt to purchase a S2 you'll find my post which went into detail about the S-mount and C-mount etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rob. You may know exactly how this lens will perform but if you want to look at a review, go to the Roger(Hicks) and Frances website. I was there last night and there's a review(free) of this lens, I think.

Looked pretty thorough but I am not a rangefinder user and am not likely to ever want this lens so didn't pore over it in great detail. Worth a look, I suspect.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just a reminder that the deadline for this items is Dec. 31st. Let me know if you're interested.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin