Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
Kerry, I finally understand, or at least I think I understand these heads.

Can you tell me the angle these heads allow, as in can you tilt the camera say 15° or is it closer to 30°? I'm trying to get a handle on whether this type of head would generally be suitable for a view camera?

This arrangement appears to be quite compact for travelling with, which is one aspect that is a major concern for myself.

Mick.
Mick,

The range of motion of the leveling bases is limited to about 10 - 15 degrees in any direction. I know some people use them as a replacement for a tripod head, but that's not really their intended use. Of course, I also know one or two large format photographers that don't even use a head at all and just adjust the length of the tripod legs combined with camera movements to get the composition they desire. Personally I find that a bit limiting.

In terms of weight and compactness, the leveling base is indeed low profile , very sturdy and weighs about 14 oz. If compactness is your main concern, The Feisol CB-50D ballhead will fit nested within the reverse folded legs of the CT-3342/CT-3442 and CT-3372/T-3472 models. Here's a photo of the CB-50D nested within a collapsed CT-3442 leg set:

This ballhead is strong enough to handle most 4x5 cameras (field or monorail), a 5x7 field camera, and perhaps a very lightweight 8x10.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras
http://reallybigcameras.com