Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,191   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Argentone - The "new' Forte Paper?

Starting this thread to explore the possibilty that Argentone will be able to replace the old Forte papers many of us miss so much. i know that ADOX is looking for people to commit to purchasing a paper they may or may not make, but how long will this take? i sincerely wish them the best of luck, and hope they are successful. in the meantime, my local dealer here in Toronto has told me that he will be receiving a shipment of Argentone sometime this MAy 2009. i will be purchasing some then, and trying it out to see what it's like. i'm not a research scientist by any stretch of the imagination, so this won't be a hardcore "study". i will be working from my gut instincts! please feel free to post any info re:Argentone papers here, and certainly anyone who has tried it please post a review! thanks, and good luck to us all!
    [FONT=Century Gothic]be the change you wish to see in the world - gandhi[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Could you please let us know who the dealer is, such that we can test it out too? I am assuming 8 elm, since they carried the original Forte stuff...

Shooter
    Medium Format

8 Elm

that'sright, it's 8 Elm. sometime in May he's saying. i will post any new info when i next speak to them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used and loved the Forte variable contrast paper and would be very interested in new supply.

Please keep us posted and if you have the URL of the store, could you please pass that on.
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.eightelmphoto.com/

That must be the retailer mentioned above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does Aregentone papers have a website of their own? I plan to stop by 8 Elm at some point to check it out.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format

Argentone web site?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Does Aregentone papers have a website of their own? I plan to stop by 8 Elm at some point to check it out.
    not that i know of. 8 elm won't have the paper until sometime in may, as per the owner...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought 10 sheets of 11x14 of the polywarm, for a silly price - 43$ or thereabouts.

Quite a disappointment. Certainly very little in common with the old Forte Polywarmtone. Much lighter paper weight (similar in feel to Agfa MCC111), and acts differently in dektol. Comes up very fast, with an unpleasant green tone that I'm used to seeing on Ilford Warmtone. I found the Forte paper to be relatively slow speed; this Argentone stuff is on the faster side. Not as fast as Ilford; perhaps a stop slower.

Didn't have a lot of joy with it in selenium 1:20. I used to be able to coax a pleasant brown tone out of the polywarmtone; didn't seem to get that with the Argentone.

Didn't seem to lith at all; not in the Kodak Superlith RT I was using, at least.

No particularly redeeming qualities that I found. Quite pleased that it stunk, actually, 'cause I'd be gutted if it was something special. I'm put off by the obnoxious pricing, and frankly, couldn't afford to print on it even if I wanted to. If it's costing 4$ + per sheet of 11x14, what do you reckon 20x24's gonna run?

Although it's a graded paper, I find Fotokemika Emaks to resemble the Forte Polywarmtone a fair bit. They certainly share a tonality, and with a bit of bromide in my Dektol 1:2, I get a warmth that is similar. Nice paper to work with.

I'd be interested in other opinions on this Argentone paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Marco! Wait till I show you my lith samples. They look a lot like the Agfa Insignia in colour but do have some texture.
    Marek Warunkiewicz

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Argentone

I too tried this paper and it no real redeeming qualities....not forte by a country mile
    Best, Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin