Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,120   Online: 747

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi barry

if it is is b/w fixer with no bleach in it, there are no worries,
    but if it is mixed with bleach for color or wild alt process stuff
    you have to target your ph to be about 3 ... i hope this makes sense ..
    i don't do anything with bleaches so i don't really know if it makes sense or not

john
    I'm no chemist, so I dont know the reasoning behind it, but I guess I can get the ph to 3. is there a specific way I need to get the ph to 3 or does it no matter as long as it's at 3?

Thanks for the reply btw
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i am not really sure ..

i am not a chemist, either ... and i am not
    really sure how you would go about doing that ..
    and i am not sure
    if whatever you decide you would want to
    change the ph with will do something adverse
    with the recover devices ..
    i will ask again, and let you know ...

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi again

i asked the manufacturers what they suggest ..
    and they said it is beyond their scope of expertise ..
    and i am sorry to say, it is beyond mine too ...

maybe a mini-lab who does recovery can let you know
    what they do to lower the ph ...

sorry i can't be of more help ..

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The issue with bleach & fixer or blix is the bleach will start to re-dissolve the silver already plated out.

It's getting late here (Turkey) so I'll re-read tomorrow. meanwhile John can you send me technical data on the units & I'll get back to you.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for the updates, John.

Ian, is there a way to 'neutralize' the bleach so that it wouldnt redissolve the silver that's already been plated out? Would lowering the PH to 3 be enough to keep the potassium permanganate bleach from redissolving the silver? (I know those might be dumb questions, but my knowledge of chemistry is 'limited,' to say the least )
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In large scale silver recovery silver is plated out of recirculating fixer or bleach fix (blix) using sophisticated plating units that control the ampage precisely, too much current and the fixer is destroyed.

Colour processing:

On a smaller scale usually mixing the bleach fix (prints) with the fixer from films after colour processing and also the rinse/wash water is sufficient before passing the solutions through a device like the Silver Magnet units. This will remove most of the silver however the remainder should be removed by then passing the solutions through a Steel/Wire wool cartridge.

The Silver magnet should reduce the level of Silver to 10-15 ppm (very approx) with the cartridge as well to below 1ppm. With just a Silver Magnet then the spent solutions should be diluted by about 10 -20X to comply with the legal 1ppm discharge limits (most areas UK/EU/US).

Black & White processing:

With B&W fixer the Silver Magnet will work more efficiently even with undiluted fixer - which it's designed for.

It needs to be remembered that the small volumes used in home darkrooms are normally very heavily diluted by domestic water wastes and are of little or no concern to waste authorities, but you need to be aware of local regulations.

Kodak's guidelines for safe disposal of photo chemistry are based on agreed procedures accepted by virtually all authorities in North America and The EU/UK and are available online.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In large scale silver recovery silver is plated out of recirculating fixer or bleach fix (blix) using sophisticated plating units that control the ampage precisely, too much current and the fixer is destroyed.

Colour processing:

On a smaller scale usually mixing the bleach fix (prints) with the fixer from films after colour processing and also the rinse/wash water is sufficient before passing the solutions through a device like the Silver Magnet units. This will remove most of the silver however the remainder should be removed by then passing the solutions through a Steel/Wire wool cartridge.

The Silver magnet should reduce the level of Silver to 10-15 ppm (very approx) with the cartridge as well to below 1ppm. With just a Silver Magnet then the spent solutions should be diluted by about 10 -20X to comply with the legal 1ppm discharge limits (most areas UK/EU/US).

Ian
    thanks for the info. My next big dumb question is does a bleach for black and white reversal processing work like a color bleach when using the silver magnet? I usually mix all my chems together and drop them off at the chemical drop-off site, but I'm wondering if I should keep them in seperate labeled containers...

Lets say I do pour my bleach, which is potassium permanganate and sodium bisulfate, the clear bath (sodium metabisulfite), spent fixer, and wash water in the same container, the silver magnet would be able to retrieve the silver from that, right? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I think I've gotten myself confused trying to figure out how to get the ph to 3, as Jnanian said his magnet supplier suggested. BTW, I'm finding nothing worth mentioning about silver recovery on the internet. All I'm finding are MSDS sheets on potassium permanganate, patents for silver recovery systems, and some wikipedia entries for potassium permanganate and processing film :/

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you mix the permanganate solution with the metabisulphite the bleach is destroyed so you won't have problems passing that through the Silver Magnet especially if you mix with the fixer.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    thanks for your help ian !

existing light
    as ian suggests it is best not to dilute the spent fix with the wash water
    you want as high a concentration of fix/silver for the magnet to work.
    if you are looking into a trickle tank ( iron steel wool tanks ) it can scrub
    the wash water, and the post-magnet spent fixer to get the rest of the silver from it.
    used with the magnet, the trickle tanks can handle 1000 to 2000 gallons of waste
    and are pretty efficient ... working alone, without the magnet to pre-de-silver your waste
    the tanks can handle about 400-800 of waste ( depending on the size of the cartridge / tank )

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-24-2011 at 02:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one of these units and have always wondered...just when should I stop? Should the red LED be glowing brightly in a lit room, or glowing dimly in a dimly-lit room, or...?

Thank you.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin