Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,564   Online: 967

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As they plate out the silver the capacity is physical rather than electrical, you should be able to see an appreciable build up of silver before you need to even think about sending for recovery.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If you mix the permanganate solution with the metabisulphite the bleach is destroyed so you won't have problems passing that through the Silver Magnet especially if you mix with the fixer.

Ian
    awesome. I never would have thought the solution to my permanganate bleach 'problem' would be so easy. Maybe I should run grab some chemistry textbooks so I can learn this stuff for myself
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    steve

it is time to turn the unit off when you see the cathode getting "dark"
    at that point it is plating out bromines (bromides?) rather than silver.

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I have almost a full container (kitty litter bucket) of mostly potassium permanganate /sodium bisulfate bleach and sodium bisulfite clear bath (also a little bit of dektol and wash water. Fixer is still good, so none in this current container). There is a bit of dark gray "dust" on the bottom of the container that swirls around when I pick the bucket up. Is that silver or some other stuff forming solids and falling to the bottom? I ask because it's not much but seems to be quite a lot if it's silver. I'd say the bottom of the bucket is like 4x10 or 4x12 inches (estimating because the bucket is in my darkroom/shed outside), and there's a very thin but noticible layer on the bottom of something.

For the record, I've developed only 2 or 3 rolls of film. I've read that the bleach bleaches out quite a bit of silver because black and white slides require less silver than black and white negs. If this stuff is indeed silver, could that be the reason for the mass of silver lining the bottom of my kitty litter bucket? Thanks in advance

BTW, I'd post a picture, but my main computer is in the shop. It has slots for memory sticks, so I never bought one of those portable card readers. Now I'm left with no way to upload pictures from my point and shoot camera until I get my main compy back
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    it looks like i accidently deleted some of my attachments
    attached are images of the silver magnet

thanks !
    john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

SPOT PRICE OF SILVER

TODAY THE SPOT PRICE OF SILVER IS $46.56 / TROY OZ ...

don't dump that $$ down your drain !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    your device holds 28-32 ounces? which is 1.75 to 2 pounds. have you found a more realistic silver refining partner? not including electricity cost, silver would have to reach 52.50 to 60 / pound to even break even after paying for the anode and processing fee?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi albertzerk

i am not quite sure what you mean ...
    this past friday the spot price for silver was $30.25 ...
    the silver magnet shipped in the usa is 65$ ...
    it pays for itself ( and a replacement anode ) the first time it is sent for refining ...

even if you add in the electricity costs, maybe i am wrong, but i don't think it will cost
    600$ in electricity to extract 25oz of silver ... that is about what 25oz will yield.

some refiners have minimums + hidden fees,
    the refiners i refer people to (in the usa, canada and the uk/eu)
    don't have hidden costs and are upfront about their fees ..

if you have a different refiner or a jeweler or someone else that you would rather have refine your silver
    you can by all means send it / bring it / sell it to anyone you want. or you can keep the "full" anodes in a
    50 gallon drum in your basement, and hoard them until you want to have the whole drum refined at once.
    i have made suggestions to take the hassle out of getting them refined
    but you don't need to use them if you don't want ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi albertzerk

i am not quite sure what you mean ...
    this past friday the spot price for silver was $30.25 ...
    the silver magnet shipped in the usa is 65$ ...
    it pays for itself ( and a replacement anode ) the first time it is sent for refining ...

even if you add in the electricity costs, maybe i am wrong, but i don't think it will cost
    600$ in electricity to extract 25oz of silver ... that is about what 25oz will yield.

some refiners have minimums + hidden fees,
    the refiners i refer people to (in the usa, canada and the uk/eu)
    don't have hidden costs and are upfront about their fees ..

if you have a different refiner or a jeweler or someone else that you would rather have refine your silver
    you can by all means send it / bring it / sell it to anyone you want. or you can keep the "full" anodes in a
    50 gallon drum in your basement, and hoard them until you want to have the whole drum refined at once.
    i have made suggestions to take the hassle out of getting them refined
    but you don't need to use them if you don't want ..
    Ah, I was thinking price per pound, not price per ounce. My bad.
    At $30/oz, your refiner is paying $300 / pound, about $600 for a filled device minus refining fees. I got it now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Happy customer here, just want to give a shout out to John. Aside from being an outstanding artist, John is also a wonderful businessman. Thanks again John for a great solution. Andy
    Andy

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin