Can you shut the device off and then restart it? I don't have a huge volume of spent fixer so i am wondering what the affects would be to start and stop the device when I obtain more spent fixer.
Originally Posted by markrewald
its just a plug in the wall, no on/off switch
i don't think it would harm much if you turn it off
before it is "done". those lucite shoe box storage things
work great as de-silvering containers, and storage containers
after you are done ..
over the last few years i have had a poll running asking what people do with their spent fixer.
it was what prompted me to becoming a distributer / dealer for the silver magnet.
many years ago i sold similar items ( electrolytic, ion transfer, and evaporation devices ) but they were very expensive, and geared towards
large labs, medical offices and clinics. unlike what i used to sell, the silver magnet is small, affordable ... and pays for itself quickly.
over the last few years i have sold many of them, and with your help have
helped remove some of the silver from the waste stream, and hopefully put a few dollars ( or pounds or euros or ... ) in your pocket.
a week or so ago i started another poll now that it a few years has passed, and it looks like silver recovery has made inroads, that is always great news ....
here are a few entries from the poll-thread that i am re-posting to give people an idea of what the silver magnet is all about ....
Originally Posted by Worker 11811
Originally Posted by jnanian
Originally Posted by Worker 11811
feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the magnet or any other silver recovery questions ( i sell other things too ),
i am usually around and if i don't know the answer/s i will be happy to find out !
I am looking at getting one of these for the university darkroom I teach at. How can I tell when it is full and needs to be replaced? We go through a lot of fixer and silver since we collect all fixer used in film, printing and color processes.
You are sitting on a gold mine! (silver mine) haha. I actually have a few large containers of fixer in my teaching darkroom as well.
Originally Posted by Greg Davis
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
A few question about Silver Magnet
Hi John and all,
I could have sent PM to you, but I think it's better to post here for collective knowledge benefit.
And in fact, the questions are for all of APUGers that are silver chemistry savvy.
I bought a Silver magnet a little more than a year ago, and I have a few question, now with the past experience :
- As I don't produce a high spent fixer throughput, I store the used fixer in a container, waiting to have enough to worth desilvering. This container, usually in plastic, with the time, get plated with grey sludge, that I presume to be silver sulfur. Does this deposit reduce significantly the amount of silver that can be extracted from the fixer ? Is another type of container (glass ?) should be used ?
- after the first use of silver magnet, I got a thin yellow-grey layer of Ag onto cathode. Then, I unplug the silver magnet, rince it with clear water, and let it dry until next use. The following time, I constated that the layer changed color, becoming grey-black. I presume it's oxydation of silver, the same thing occuring when letting silverware forks to the air. Does this oxydation affects the Silver Magnet function ?
Many thanks for your help
Last edited by Raphael; 10-30-2012 at 07:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
Reason: forgot something
i can answer the 2nd question ...
i do not think there is a problem at all.
the magnet just allows electricity to flow through
the spent fixer to plate the silver onto the cathode.
as long as there is enough silver in the fixer there won't be a problem
otherwise it will smoke and smell like sulphur and burn out the magnet.
when you send it to be refined, they take into account
that there is a little oxidation i would imagine that is why
they suggest the silver on the cathode isn't 100% pure silver ..
i don't really have an answer to your first question but a guess and a suggestion ..
maybe you can experiment and see if it makes a difference
if/when you use a glass container.
i save my spent fixer in black 1L jobo containers
and a 3 quart tupperware plastic container before i
run it through the magnet i have never seen the sludge you have mentioned.
maybe i don't save mine as long so it doesn't have the same time to precipitate ?
i look forward to reading what others have to say !
Many thanks for your quick answer !
I am glad that this oxydation doesn't affect the Silver Magnet good function. However, I noticed the used fixer I stored have already a strong sulphur smell, when opening the storing container, and that odor persists during all the time I let the Magnet on, I hope I didn't burn the cathod !
About the deposit in the storing bottle, maybe you are right about the time, because the fixer stayed here several months.
BTW, I hope all is OK for you, I read in another thread you are in NYC.
hi raphael i am happy i could help
things are OK here, i am about 3 hours from NYC
in RI we got lots of wind and some rain, but nothing like NYC ...
if i can help anymore let me know
i will ask the maker too ...
20% DONATE THANKS APUG !
20% OF ALL MAGNET AND SILVER RECOVERY "STUFF"
DONATED DIRECT TO APUG+SEAN