Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,784   Online: 733

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Waterproof Digital Thermometer

I'm pleased to say we've now found a suitable replacement for our popular waterproof thermometer which was discontinued by the supplier last year. The new one is "dishwasher safe" so shouldn't be too worried about being dropped in a tray of warm developer! In addition, it's cheaper than the previous model. Check it out here. Stock should be available by the end of this month (February).
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    I'm pleased to say we've now found a suitable replacement for our popular waterproof thermometer ...(February).
    CLose, but ...

Unfortunately, the specified accuracy is rather coarse ... +/- 1 (one) degree C between -19.9c to +119.9C.

If only they would produce a unit more accurate - +/- 0.1C - even with a greatly reduced range - say, +15 to +40C ...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was given an old Micronta (Radio Shack in the USA) digital thermometer of the sort of range in discussion here lasty week as a part of a lot of gear from somone who has moved to the D side. I have yet to test it against my mercury reference thermometer, but all of these years to the nearest 1 degree F has done fine for me.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We can supply units with much higher accuracy (e.g. +/- 0.2C) but they are inevitably also much more expensive. Inexpensive digital thermometers do however tend to be very consistent and robust so are ideal for everyday use; if absolute accuracy is important they can be calibrated to a reference mercury thermometer for example. As with most aspects of practical photography, consistency is more important than absolute accuracy.
    Regards,
    Richard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stock now available.
    Regards,
    Richard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That looks like an excellent value for money instrument.

With a +- 1ºC accuracy, I defy anyone using normal amateur darkroom developing with a hand tank or dish development for paper, to come anywhere near the same tolerance factor during the length of the developing process. Temperatures just swing, not too much you can do about it.

I know that if you have a tempered water bath processor like a Jobo CPE2 or higher model unit, then your tolerance factor can tighten up, but consistency is far more important.

I have an extremely good electronic thermometer which has three ranges of measuring. It will measure between -200 to +1,200ºC. The readout can be adjusted to four decimal places, but the accuracy overall is to two decimal places only. Unless you get a narrow band calibration done and then it will be accurate to three decimal places.

I purchased this for a process at my work about 18 years ago at a then cost of $1,200.00 tax free, with tax for normal people it was around $1,500.00.

Today the same unit still costs over $3,000 without tax.

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin