Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,553   Posts: 1,573,138   Online: 778

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm

Picture Framing Glossary

Frame Destination has added a Picture Framing Glossary to the resources section of our website to help people that are new to do-it-yourself picture framing:
    Picture Framing Glossary

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Now that I know the proper term what is your recommendation for "Back Paper"? And is something that you sell?

Roger

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    Now that I know the proper term what is your recommendation for "Back Paper"? And is something that you sell?

Roger
    The most common backing paper is just a roll of brown kraft paper used for packing. We dont sell it but it is commonly available at most office supply stores and moving supply stores. It's primary purpose is to keep dust out of the picture frame and provide a clean finished look to the framing package. You can use glue, atg tape, or standard double sided tape to apply it to the back of the wood picture frame. Since it only makes contact with the back of the wood frame and the wood frame is already acidic you dont really have to worry about archival issues. Your artwork should be buffered from the wood frame and the backing paper by the mat and a frame backing such as acid free foamcore.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the reply, yeah I was wondering if I was worrying to much and did consider the fact that the wood frame is not archival. I have actually been using Savage background paper which works nicely and is a little tougher than kraft paper.

Roger

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    I would just keep doing what you are doing Roger.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I was wondering if I was worrying to much and did consider the fact that the wood frame is not archival. I have actually been using Savage background paper which works nicely and is a little tougher than kraft paper.

Roger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fdi View Post
    I would just keep doing what you are doing Roger.
    Will do.

Just got my frame order btw, looks great and was packed very very well. Keep up the good work.

Roger

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Will do.

Just got my frame order btw, looks great and was packed very very well. Keep up the good work.

Roger
    Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate your business and I will let our packers know.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same here. Every one of my orders came very well packed (4 orders so far, I think) NO damages what so ever. I wish this glossary was there when I was having issue with "mount board" and "backer board".... THAT was confusing.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Same here. Every one of my orders came very well packed (4 orders so far, I think) NO damages what so ever. I wish this glossary was there when I was having issue with "mount board" and "backer board".... THAT was confusing.
    Thanks. We have put a lot of focus on having a really low damage rate. Saves us money and our customers time. It really makes it hard for us to hire shippers though. We have found it is easier to train someone with no shipping experience than to un-train and retrain someone that shipped for another company.

Cheers,
    Mark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin