Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,332   Online: 1052

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why oh why? I have never understood the desire to modify something like a lens when bodies are so cheap and plentiful. I have a Chinon DSL in M42 screw mount and I would be more than happy to let you have it. It probably needs a CLA but you do that yourself. It also needs the little rewind arm but the rest of it is still there and if you just have to modify something why not that?
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Just for giggles, Are you gonna have auto aperture? The screw mounts use a push pin actuator but the bayonet uses a linkage similar to Nikon's.
    Probably wrong side of the camera or upside down and backwards. Ah, nothing like a challenge.
    If it looks reasonably doable, otherwise I just plan on picking an aperture and a shutter speed manually.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Why oh why? I have never understood the desire to modify something like a lens when bodies are so cheap and plentiful. I have a Chinon DSL in M42 screw mount and I would be more than happy to let you have it. It probably needs a CLA but you do that yourself. It also needs the little rewind arm but the rest of it is still there and if you just have to modify something why not that?
    Thanks for the generous offer but I love the F3 and would like to keep my kit small, so no extra bodies. Being somewhat of a purist myself I can understand someone's concern with altering one of a finite supply of older lenses, and I can respect that position.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by declark View Post
    The F3 would remain unchanged and still would be used with my 24 and 105 lenses. Only the lens would be modded to fit the F mount.
    I need some new glasses, seriously. I looked again and saw that you said "Nikkor" not Nikon.

I still think it's better to just get another body- an MX or ME Super is very small and light. If you're worried about your back put it in a waist pack. A fanny pack will hold the combo.

The ME Super weighs less than a pound. The MX weighs barely more than a pound. Both are tiny. Both have big, beautiful viewfinders. As for lenses, the SMC Pentax is the SMC Takumar, just in K-mount. It costs about the same. The SMC Pentax-M is lighter and smaller, and still gives nice bokeh. Either will give full functionality, including AE on the ME Super if you want that. You can put a screw-mount Takumar onto any K-mount camera with an adapter, though you lose auto diaphragm, no worse than with the Nikon.

With all the options, why go to the trouble to hack a Pentax onto a Nikon? To save a pound of weight? Come on.

BTW, I've got an F3, and while its viewfinder is great, the Pentaxes are just as nice.
    Last edited by lxdude; 01-02-2012 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like 'hacking' a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang to put a 1970 'Cuda 426 Hemi engine in it, because it has a better sound? Sure it might possibly be done, but does it make sense to do it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link to the adapter. I had no idea one was available since Nikon has a greater flange distance than Pentax and nearly all other 35 SLRs. Infinity focus will suffer a bit but since I am more likely to be using at indoor distances it may just what I am looking for and for the squeamish no lens will be harmed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hell yeah, if you don't need it at infinity, that's the quickest and easiest.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

X. Phot.
    For the adapter that provides an unadulterated image to film, I'm sure there will be leeway to extend focus to the Hyper-focal distance. If accommodating in that respect, this could cover your distant subjects.
    Last edited by X. Phot.; 01-02-2012 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin