Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,352   Online: 797

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hack a Takumar 50mm to Nikon F3?

I hear a lot of good about Pentax 50 / 55 mm lenses in regards to bokeh. Never been too crazy about Nikon's 50's. Currently have an Ai 50 f2 that is good, but still am intrigued by something faster and smoother. The 50 Ais f1.2 is an obvious but expensive option. I have machine shop access and for about $100 I could make a run at adapting a Takumar. I know that there is about a 1mm diff in flange to film so I would have to try removing about this much material to get infinity focus, just wondering if anyone else has tried a similar mod. I would like to use this with my F3 so not interested in getting another body to carry and it sounds like a fun project. Any suggestions...? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah - get a Nikkor 1.4.

It's not clear what you dislike about Nikkors (which is totally fine BTW) and why Takumars are better. Old AIS 1.2's can be had for under 4 or 5 hundred -- hard to beat that bokeh and quality I reckon?
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah the 50mm f1.2 would be my first choice but don't want to drop 5 Benjamins for one. i have had a long nose 50mm f1.8 and it's bokeh was horrible. Hated the backgrounds. I have the 105 2.5 so I know a nice background when I see it. The f2 is a bit better than the 1.8, but I have just read so much good about Takumar f1.4 it's got me curious and I kind of like a challenge. Not that it matters but the older Tak is such a cool looking lens to boot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What body are you going to use?
    I adapt many different lenses to my EOS system via cheap adapters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Takumar 50mm 1.4 is as good as it's reputation. The build quality and wide aperture performance is really good, better than most. I actually prefer the older non MC version, but they are all fine, and the prices are usully low due to them being so common and not having the street cred of some others.
    Adapting one to your Nikon would probably be easy but it will compromise the excellent metering on that camera. What you should do is buy a good clean Spotmatic to go with the lens, hard to go wrong with that!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bruce I intend to use a Nikon F3. Any adapter would require a lens to deal with the longer flange to film distance of the Nikon body which I would like to avoid since it will degrade image somewhat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure you can adapt it. Why not? There is so much distinct character in some of these off-brand lenses.

If you want to make a ghetto adapter for close focus only, just take a body cap and a rear lens cap, glue them together back to back, drill a hole in the middle and off you go

I would ask myself how far out you can focus without making major / irreversible mods. it might actually be fine for portraiture and closeups to use a very simple kludge.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Tony that's what I've read about the Takumars and they are a bargain. Having had back surgery recently I want to keep weight I carry around to a minimum and adding a body isn't going in the right direction since all my other lenses are Nikon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nothing at all wrong with liking a lens because it looks cool...lord knows I have more than a few items in my kit based on not much more!
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keith I can do better than ghetto adapter but I like your thinking. BTW I only shoot b&w in the F3 so maybe character of older radioactive glass Takumar might be what I'm looking for. For adapting I plan to get a beater Nikkor and remove the flange and mill down if need be. I don't care about it being reversible.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin