Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,528   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Bellows replacement, Kodak #3-A Autographic Special, Model B

I have a pretty nice Kodak #3-A Autographic Special, Model B that I'd like to replace the bellows on (the existing bellows is pretty much past repairt. While I can see how to detach the bellows from the front standard (4 small rivets), I cannot see how the bellows is fastened in to the camera body.

Has anyone that has taken one of these apart give me any tips? And does anyone know what the OEM part number was for these? I have a list of the #1 and #2 models, but not for the #3 or #4 sized cameras.

Thanks.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $(KGrHqZ,!oEE63WY+DDeBO-PWg4s)g~~60_3.jpg  
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are something like eight or ten small metal tabs attached to the film gate. With the lens out of the way, and a torchlight, you should be able to see them. You'll need to create a special tool to unbend the tabs and the bellows will come away. The tabs will bear a couple of bends, but be careful or the metal will crack.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Ed;
    What are your intentions with this camera? Are you going for a restored shelf queen or a user? Kodak made a sheet film back for this camera, and have only seen a few for sale over the years. You might be able to still get custom roll film made but expensive. I have the same camera and am thinking of converting to use sheet film holders. I bought some 3 1/2 x 5 1/4 holders years ago and in the process of converting the camera. Talk to me dude, Steven.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snederhiser View Post
    Hello Ed;
    What are your intentions with this camera?
    I hope to use it. Initially, probably by blacking out the red window and using half sheets of 5x7 in it. Ideally, I'd like to find a sheet back for it (with holders...), but like you say, they are few and far between.

Of course, I can always dream of getting some FP4 cut in long rolls and spool it myself...

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also convert to 120 roll film without any major disturbance to the camera - give a nice pano.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
    You can also convert to 120 roll film without any major disturbance to the camera - give a nice pano.
    True enough, and that's a nice example of the practice. But I'm more interested in making post card sized pictures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Ed;
    The bellows were rivited on the front standard and glued on the back. Years ago I bought some replacement bellows and have one extra to offer. Recently on _bay I saw the original sheet film holders, so they may still be availiable. Do a search on film holders. You will need to make a ground glass back for this copying the film holders. Good luck, Steven.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I try to regularly watch eBay. There was a back with holders listed and sold recently and I think I saw one a while back, too.

Ed

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have a bellows I've been keeping as a spare for my 3A. The part number on it is 29915. There are more than one type of bellows for the 3A. The front plate varied depending on the lens and shutter. If you find one for sale, you will likely have to change the front plate with the one from your existing bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every time I go to camera fairs there's a box of new original OEM bellows for a wide variety of camera all approx £3 ($4.80) a set. My assumption is they came from Glanvils/Camera Bellows who had the contracts for Kodak as well as most post WWII manufacturers in the west. If you want to post the sizes of front/rear I can keep an eye out at the next fair which is I think 2-3 weeks time.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin