Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,123   Online: 825

Shooter
    35mm

Stripped screw on bottom plate of Minolta X700

Hello APUG,

The Story:
    I have two Minolta X700 bodies. The first one doesn't work at all. The second one works, but the bottom plate is partially broken RIGHT where my gorilla-sized right hand rests. I put the minolta auto-winder on the bottom to cover it up for now (I never use it), but the winder gets in the way at times and I would rather have a slightly smaller camera body to deal with.

The Problem:
    I want to do a bottom plate swap on my two X700 bodies, but the heads of the screws on the non-functioning X700 body are stripped. I have tried slotting it myself with an X-acto knife. I have tried gluing the head a bit and moving it very slowly. These screws are really in there.

The Question:
    Any more tips on how can I get these stripped screws out?
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a small drill, say 1 mm, and hold it in a pinvise. Drill into the center of the screwhead until the head is detached from the shank of the screw.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Use a small drill, say 1 mm, and hold it in a pinvise. Drill into the center of the screwhead until the head is detached from the shank of the screw.
    Yikes! Good luck with that!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Yikes! Good luck with that!
    Why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also try carefully applying a soldering iron to screw head. Maybe someone decided to put some loctite on it before you had it. I also own a set of precision stripped screw removers but they aren't the best as they are handheld (not enough torque or downward pressure as when using a power drill) and expensive. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    You can also try carefully applying a soldering iron to screw head. Maybe someone decided to put some loctite on it before you had it. I also own a set of precision stripped screw removers but they aren't the best as they are handheld (not enough torque or downward pressure as when using a power drill) and expensive. Good luck.
    Thanks, forgot about the soldering iron.
    Sometimes, a straightblade of the right width will get enough bite in a rounded out crosspoint screw to turn it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think E. vonHoegh's first suggestion will be the easiest. If you have a slotted driver that fits the head you can drive it into the screw with a couple of taps of a hammer. Don't jump through anything. All the screw needs is a little bite.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've no idea how large the screws are that need to come out, but I took my camera to a jewellers when I had a tiny little base plate screw stripped that wouldn't budge. He had it out in a second, no charge, just a smile. Then the optometrist across from the jewellers supplied me with a replacement screw - again, no charge.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin