Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,311   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Super Graphic standard on Pacemaker

Just wondered if anyone's done this before and if so how ?

I asked in the past and was told there was no way the standard could fit the rails then discovered my spare Pacemaker standard that I'd bought to customise to give swing would fit my Super Graphic. However it doesn't work the other way around . . . . . . . . or it didn't/

A few days ago I recieved some Super Graphic spare parts to finish restoring the camera inc a front standard, I'm left with enough to modify to fit the Pacemakers

The good news is a Super Graphic standard will fit a Pacemaker and probably an Anniversary Graphic with some slight modification, and these are much easier than modifying a Pacemaker standard to get movements. All you need to do is grind away the underside of the base plate on the sandard untit it fits, this is the plate that slots into the rails.

So I now have a fully functional Super Graphic front standard that fits my Pacemakers which will allow full movements. The dilemma is now whether to use the Super Graphic lens board frame (sits in the standard) which is missing the sliders (one already missing the other cannibalised to fix my Super Graphic) and fudge a bellows attachment or to modify the Super Graphic standar to take the existing lens board frame from a Pacemaker. If I use the Super Graphic parts I've no sliders to attach the lens so thats an issue as well.

Any thoughts ?

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting. Although I've never tried it, I was under the impression that one could simply use the uprights from the super on the pacemaker. Is that the case? I've never found a decent super for sale at a reasonable price so, have not tried.

I've also thought about having a machinist fab a slightly modified pacemaker upright. It easy to see that, in order to achieve a more useful front tilt range of motion on the pacemaker, one would only need to extend the circle at the base of the upright on the pacemaker front standard....again, I've no pressing (pardon the pun) need for front tilt on the crown graphic and so have not pursued this too far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Brad, no unfortunately the uprights are slightly wider on the Super Graphic and the pivot point for tilt is fixed, the rise/fall is part of the lens panel holder, while the Pacemaker pivot point is also fixed the lens panel holder slides up & down the front standard, so too different. Really needs photos to illustrate the differances and when I've finally finished I'll write something about it all.

I was constantly frustrated by the lack of movements on my Crown Graphic which I mainly used hand held and switching to a Super Graphic made a huge differance. It's not so much the front tilt rather the lack of movements when the cameras used in portrait mode. My main 5x4 camera is a Wista 45DX but it's not hand holdable so when out shooting in Turkey & Greece it was acase of either or in the back pack which isn't ideal.

So the idea it to make a Pacemaker almost as versatile as the Super Graphic if possible without compromising the original camera, I don't need a rangefinder or optical viewfinder. I could end up making a new casing and adding a rotating back, so I'd need to make slightly larger bellows as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But why, and you'll have to excuse my ignorance here, if you have a super speed would you want to turn your pacemaker into a super speed?

anyway, would it be possible to just swap out the rails too, or is the problem something else?
    and as someone that neither owns nor ever owned either - I'm just thinking out loud

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    But why, and you'll have to excuse my ignorance here, if you have a super speed would you want to turn your pacemaker into a super speed?

anyway, would it be possible to just swap out the rails too, or is the problem something else?
    and as someone that neither owns nor ever owned either - I'm just thinking out loud
    Unfortunately bits don't swap

The why, I spend time on two continents and LF gear is bulky & heavy and then there's flight weight restrictions (so I keep a set up in Turkey and another in the UK) plus I have a spare camera and parts. Plus it's a challenge

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Unfortunately bits don't swap
    are you sure?
    not even with lots and lots of gaffer tape?
    where's your Mcgyver spirit

The why, I spend time on two continents and LF gear is bulky & heavy and then there's flight weight restrictions (so I keep a set up in Turkey and another in the UK) plus I have a spare camera and parts. Plus it's a challenge
    all very valid reason, but still poor form to be bragging about having 2 and wanting to make 1 even better...

So, what exactly is the problem tho'. you say that you need to fit one lens board holder or the other - the one having one slider and the other having no slider and on top of this the bellows fitting?

Surely it has to be easier to modify the bellows connection and run the super board holder... how do they connect to each other? any chance of having some shots uploaded. it's very hard to imagine all this

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So I now have a fully functional Super Graphic front standard that fits my Pacemakers which will allow full movements. The dilemma is now whether to use the Super Graphic lens board frame (sits in the standard) which is missing the sliders (one already missing the other cannibalised to fix my Super Graphic) and fudge a bellows attachment or to modify the Super Graphic standar to take the existing lens board frame from a Pacemaker. If I use the Super Graphic parts I've no sliders to attach the lens so thats an issue as well.

Any thoughts ?

Ian
    Right. So I missed this part on my first reading. It has been a while since I took one apart, and I do not have the parts here with me at present but from memory, the Pacemaker front end has two major pieces that ride in the uprights of the front standard. First off, I'd be very strongly inclined to stay with the pacemaker parts here. The black part that attaches to the bellows especially. The brushed aluminum part that kind engulfs the black part...well,I'd be very inclined to keep that too....

(takes a moment to look at some photos of Super Graphics on eBay)

Ok...so, I see your dilema...the super uprights do not have the slots for front rise...or at least they're not obvious from the photos...and the pacemaker has studs sticking out that want to ride up and down in those slots...is that it? Does the super even have front rise?

I think I would find a way to fasten the pacemaker bellows attachment and lens board "housing" to the uprights of the super's front standard...

Or maybe chuck the whole thing and work out a way to hand-hold the wista?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Surely it has to be easier to modify the bellows connection and run the super board holder... how do they connect to each other? any chance of having some shots uploaded. it's very hard to imagine all this
    Brad has spotted the problems. My spare Super Graphic front standard has issues because the frame is missing the sliders to hold the lens board inplace so ideally I'd prefer to use the existing Pacemaker frame because that would allow me to use the modified standard on a different Pacemaker as well if I wanted.

So the plan is to make new aluminium guides for the Super Graphic standard or modify the existing ones by using some aluminium srtips. Photos later today.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the photos, just some quick snaps

Both standards on the focus track, the Super Graphic with swing and shift and the modification that was done.

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sg05.jpg   sg03.jpg   sg01.jpg   sg02.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brad has spotted the problems. My spare Super Graphic front standard has issues because the frame is missing the sliders to hold the lens board inplace so ideally I'd prefer to use the existing Pacemaker frame because that would allow me to use the modified standard on a different Pacemaker as well if I wanted.

So the plan is to make new aluminium guides for the Super Graphic standard or modify the existing ones by using some aluminium srtips. Photos later today.

Ian
    to do it that way I think that's the only option you'd have. But to be honest I'd be more inclined of finding a way of fitting the bellows straight on to the super standard.

And looking at the pictures, what sort of difference in width is there between the 2? because it seems like the pacemaker board will be a lot narrower than the super's sliders.

One question too, is there any reason you can't just take the rotating base plate off the super and mount it to the pacmaker's with some sort of adapter for any size difference there may be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin