Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,105   Online: 1029
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,374
    Images
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Frankly, for a lens that common and cheap, I'd take my chances with a "new" used one.
    Good lord, this is one of the most common lenses on earth. I agree. Just buy another one. That is, unless you like messing with small, delicate parts and want to learn how to do this as an academic exercise.

  2. #12
    dehk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    882
    Its not too bad. I'll do it for you two if you want PM Me.
    Last edited by dehk; 02-07-2012 at 01:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Gee whiz, I NEVER would have marked the silly thing. That's way too easy. That, by the way was sarcasm.
    Now that the pencil and scribed lines have been covered. Why didn't you mention them with your first response to the OP?
    Did you assume something like maybe someone who had never taken a lens apart would know they should use witness marks.
    "Be sure you understand what you are doing". I think that covers it. What the hell is your problem?

  4. #14
    Nicholas Lindan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,376
    Images
    4
    I found the best grease to be 'vacuum grease' - made for laboratory glassware fittings. It won't outgas (read fog the inside lens surfaces), migrate (read gooey diaphragm) or separate into oil and sludge (read seized focusing helical and an oily diaphragm). My experience with silicon (Silglide), Lithium (Lithease) and Calcium (Lubriplate) greases is that they do all three given a little bit of time.

    You can also use 'optical damping grease' but it seems to outgas a wee bit and fog lenses when the grease is new. It is probably a good idea to bake the grease first to get the last of any solvents out of it.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    I found the best grease to be 'vacuum grease' - made for laboratory glassware fittings. It won't outgas (read fog the inside lens surfaces), migrate (read gooey diaphragm) or separate into oil and sludge (read seized focusing helical and an oily diaphragm). My experience with silicon (Silglide), Lithium (Lithease) and Calcium (Lubriplate) greases is that they do all three given a little bit of time.

    You can also use 'optical damping grease' but it seems to outgas a wee bit and fog lenses when the grease is new. It is probably a good idea to bake the grease first to get the last of any solvents out of it.
    There's a grease called "Krytox" that is designed to not outgass. In my Nikkor lenses, the grease is nowhere near the diaphragm, unless you apply it with a grease gun. Other 35mm lenses may or may not be arranged similarly. I've had no trouble with the lithium grease hazing the glass, but I've only been using it on helicoids for about 13-14 years. The brand I have isn't Lithease, it's an instrument type grease. Again, in my lenses, the helicoid is far enough from the glass that it may not be a problem. I think perhaps the most important thing is, not to apply too much. Some lenses I've had apart are greased up like a wheel bearing.

  6. #16
    Nicholas Lindan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,376
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I've had no trouble with the lithium grease hazing the glass, but I've only been using it on helicoids for about 13-14 years.
    That might explain it ... wait a bit longer. OTOH, there are many different lithium greases - Lithease will start to separate in 24 hours. A lot depends on the storage conditions of the lens.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    That might explain it ... wait a bit longer. OTOH, there are many different lithium greases - Lithease will start to separate in 24 hours. A lot depends on the storage conditions of the lens.
    The lithium grease I have is a transparent red, it's for intrument use. A friend had a big container and gave me some in a small mustard jar which of course does not have the grease manufacturer's name on it. It doesn't separate at all in the jar, but who knows what time will do to it. The lenses are stored indoors in temperate and dry coditions, but are used in temperatures from -25f to +90f. It gives a very nice low drag but smooth feel to the focussing, which in my opinion is worth cleaning the thing every 20 years or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin