Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,237   Online: 902

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, that's the right manual. Congrats on getting as far as you have. Double check two things:

1. The placement of all the tiny springs. They are very easy to get out of place.
    2. The faceplate and speed ring. Make shure they are installed properly and not binding any of the levers.

So... what does the shutter do -- anything or nothing at all. And, were you able to determine why the shutter blade got dislodged in teh first place?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW Steve,
    If you go to the bottom of the opening page, click on the 2 links there.. you'll be very pleasingly surprised at all the info this site has to offer.

Do some exploring, click on the side bar links as well, it'll blow you away.

You may need a translator but the wealth of information is amazing, especially the lens theory sections.

Enjoy!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. There is a lot of information there which I was not aware of.

The issues I have at the moment are:

1. When I put all of the shutter blades in place and fit the shutter mechanism back into the housing, they bind up. i.e. the actuating ring will not move. Two observations I made were that when I first took it apart, two of the three screws which hold it all together were loose. Also the shutter blade which fell out is larger than all the rest. I don't know if it should be or if someone has 'fixed' it before fitting a different blade and leaving the back a bit loose to stop it binding.
    When I assemble the blades, I put in the four smaller blades first then the large blade last. It cant go in earlier as the larger blade would cover the pin of the next blade. Four of the blade actuating pins have a recess, the fifth is plain so I assumed that the larger blade should go on that pin. I don't know for sure, I'm just applying some sort of logic to it.

2. Although I think I have got all of the little springs back in place, with the blades removed again, The cocking lever does not latch in place. It just slips back again.

3. I'm 99% sure that I am putting the shutter speed ring back correctly but there is a lever sticking up from the timing mechanism which prevents the ring from turning through more than half of its travel (unless forced slightly when the ring rides over it).

My paln was to get it back working without the blades first but I am getting frustrated with it. At 10:00 last night I put it all in a box and put it away. By 11:00 my curiosity got the better of me and I was back putting it together again.

I don't like to let a mechanical (or electronic) problem get the better of me (although the amount of 'spare parts' I now have might argue against this) so I really would like to get it working again.

As I only paid £20 for the lens, even if I bough another 00 size shutter for it, it would still be considered a bargain. I just prefer to use what I have and leave spending money until the last resort!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't worked on an iris in a long time but I can tell you there is an order to putting em back in. Some have tips that area bent, those being hte first n last leaves to go in facing oppsing directions, some have larger n odd shaped leaves indicating another order. Trick is to find that order... look at the diagrams very closely for oddities.

Lubricating LF shutters is also tricky. Some shutters have factory coatings that shouldn't be washed n others need the slightest amt of the lightest oil you can find or run completely dry.

So play with it, be carefull n delicate n when you are feeling frustrated, jsut put her aside till tomorrow, answers come to you in dreams.

That is an amzing site. I discovered it by accident n have been exploring for quite some time n each time I find something new.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm hoping not to lubricate or clean this one as it was working perfectly, although with a blade missing, before I started on it. Therefore, the main problem it has now is to do with the way I put it back together.

I spent quite a while staring at the shutter blade pictures convincing myself that one was larger but I don't think they are - at least, it's not apparent omn the pictures.

What I did notice today though is that where I placed the large blade last, obviously this is the one which does not overlap. however, there is a picture in the manual which shows all of one blade from the front - I have no idea how to do that from the rear. Perhaps I need more sleep!

I did manage to fix the shutter on a Balda Super Baldix last week. It just needed a clean and lubrication which I applied very sparingly on the end of a thin piece of wire.

I would happily take the front off of most shutters now and clean and lubricate them but I don't like separating the aperture bit from the shutter bit.

I did this a few years ago when I grafted the front shutter part from an Isolette onto the rear aperture part of a Meopta Flexaret. I remember thinking it wasn't very funny the seventh time all of the shutter blades fell through the hole when putting the last one in place. It did work in the end though - and still does.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 02-09-2012 at 08:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Also the shutter blade which fell out is larger than all the rest. I don't know if it should be...
    Well, I think I'm going mad.

There is no way that the shutter blade I have is the correct one. It just won't fit properly. I moved house a couple of years ago and lost track of where I put the dropped out shutter blade then found it again recently - or so I thought. However, if this isn't it, where is it? And more importantly, what did this larger one come out of?!!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    However, if this isn't it, where is it?
    If your luck is like mine, it is in the bag of your vacuum cleaner (Hoover)... the bag you changed last year.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a time traveler guy come from the future to borrow tools n parts all the time. Ever drop someting right by your foot n can't find it no matter how hard you look?... future boy snatched it!

Problem is he is suposed to put everything back exactly as he found it or risks messing the time continuem... well this bum has a lousey memory because I'm missing alot of stuff. I left notes, e-mailed him a few times and still nothing.

Every so often I do find the lost itmes in places I'd never put it. Maybe it's me from the future with altzheimers? I'll catch him yet n break his neck... teach him some time continuem manners.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Ever drop someting right by your foot n can't find it no matter how hard you look?
    Yes. I once dropped a tiny screw and couldn't find it so I dropped another one to see where it went... and lost both of them.

I know but it seemed like a good idea at the time!

And I once watched my father preparing to re-assemble something. His action of clearing the workspace in front of him swept all of the tiny screws onto the floor.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No wonder I was having so much trouble. Today whilst re-(dis)organising my camera shelves, I found the actual missing shutter blade. I'm sure it will fit much better than the one I thought had come out! I will have another go at it soon.

So where did that other blade come from?!!!

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin