Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,996   Online: 804

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Synchro Compur 00 Compatibility With Other Shutters (Prontor, etc.)

As some of you will know, I have a 65mm f8 Super Angulon which I have built into a 6x12 camera. The lens is in a Synchro Compur shutter. Schneider's data sheet suggests that it is fitted in a Copal shutter.

A while ago, one of the shutter blades fell out and I haven't got round to having it repaired yet (I will). However, I noticed that if I stop it down a bit past f11, the gap in the shutter is masked by the aperture blades. I have been using it stopped down to at least f16 and have found no problems. I even tested it by pointing it at bright sunlight for a while with no problems. It works but is not ideal.

Anyway, that's irrelevant to my question.

My real question is: There are quite a few folding cameras which use what look to be similar size shutters. Is there a Prontor or similar shutter which will have the same 22.5mm diameter threads and the same spacing which I could get as an interim measure before I get my shutter repaired?

Steve.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen shutters in a range of sizes similar to 00, so if I were you I'd not part with any cash before seeing in person whether or not your lens fits the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems to me that getting it fixed might be easier than transferring the cells to another shutter. If you need repair parts, there are a number of folders that use Synchro Compur 00 and most of the parts (cocking rack being one of the exceptions) probably will directly transfer to your shutter. A prime example is the Kodak Retina IIc and IIIc, both of which can be found affordably.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Getting it repaired is my intention, it's just that I always seem to find other things to spend my money on (or perhaps my wife keeps spending it for me!).

I have an Ansco version of the Agfa Isolette III here and it looks like it has the same size shutter. I'm not going to take it apart though as it's in nearly new condition and was a gift from another APUG member.

I might buy a simpler model of Isolette though if I can find a cheap one.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't unscrew the front cells from the shutter on my 65mm f8 SA Compur #00 or I'd double check for you but they should fit. Just bought 6 shutters yesterday but the two small ones a Compur & a Prontor have mint Novar lens cells fitted.

Other than a Compur there's the Vario - 3 speeds B, 25, 75 & 200, a Prontor-S B 1, 5, 10, 25, 50 & 100. I paid £2 for a new (unused) Vario last week postage was 2x that !!!!

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    the two small ones a Compur & a Prontor have mint Novar lens cells fitted.
    Does the Prontor look as if the threads are 22.5mm? The Prontor SV on my Ansco looks like it would do but I'm not going to take it apart. Just holding the SA rear element up to the back of the Prontor, it does look like it would fit. I can't tell from the front as it has the scale focusing ring on it.

I am going to look for a cheap Isolette or something similar with bad bellows so I don't mind taking it apart.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, the big risk with taking a #00 from a folder is tube length. They're not all the same and SAs are sensitive to spacing. Measure carefully.

I have the impression that post-WW II Compur 00s are pretty standard. So are Prontor Press #00s, remember that these are all post-war.

I have a couple of lenses in Prontor #00, including a 47/5.6 SA that Schneider shipped in one. eBay #180812990726 has one with a 50/4 Comparon in it. I'd been thinking of bidding but don't really need another #00 so will stand aside and let others vie for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Steve, the big risk with taking a #00 from a folder is tube length. They're not all the same and SAs are sensitive to spacing. Measure carefully.
    Yes. According to this: http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/pratique..._centraux.html there are a couple of spacing options with a 22.5mm opening.

The Prontor 00 has the same 22.5mm threads and 16mm spacing. The Copal 00 is listed as 22.6mm threads but I'm sure this should be 22.5mm as this is the shutter suggested in Schneider's data sheet for this lens.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 02-07-2012 at 02:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Prontor and Vario #00 shutters I have are all identical spacing, one Prontor is pre-WWII the other and the Vario are post WWII with flash synch, I can't check the Compur as it's got all the gubbins for the parallax correction for a Super Ikonta on it.

Dan makes a good point about the Super Angulon being more critical on it's spacing, I know Dean Jones in Australia (RazzleDog) found that spacings varied on 90mm f6.8 Angulons and that this affected the sharpness. So if you can measure the original Compur you could shim if necessary.

Be aware that some of these #00 shutters have raised face plates and it's just possible may not allow a SA's front cell to screw in fully. (Have S1a service manual for you BTW).

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    GOOD NEWS: Thanks to this manual: http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/Comp...ir-manual.html posted in another thread, I managed to open up my shutter from the back and fit the blade back in place.

BAD NEWS: All I need to do now is work out why the rest of it won't work any more.

I think I might have slightly increased my quantity of spare parts!

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin