Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,484   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Konica Auto S2 shutter issue

Hi all, this is my first post here and was hoping to get a bit of advice. I just received a "mechanically sound" Konica Auto S2 rangefinder which I bought off ebay, only to find the aperture blades were stuck. So I pulled the lens from the body, got past the rearmost lens cell and cleaned them up, all good. So, now when I put everything back together, the shutter isn't operating properly (it was working before I pulled it apart). The advance lever cocks the shutter and it will fire if tripped with a finger/screwdriver, but pressing the button doesn't set it off. I've tried adjusting the gold adjustment screw on the shutter button shaft with no luck (see pics), this is the first time I've pulled an RF apart and I can't figure out what I'm missing, does anyone who's tinkered with a few of these have any ideas? Much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03849-1.jpg   DSC03848-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Tsoby and welcome to APUG. Since its to late to tell you not to do it, I suggest that you take it apart again and study the parts to see if you can tell you are putting them back where they belong. Maybe someone will have a link to an exploded view of the shutter. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks fotch, I can assure you I've spent a lot of time studying the parts! I can move the whole lens assembly around in its position and get it to fire sometimes which is making me think more and more that it's an adjustment somewhere, just can't figure out what I'm missing. But yeah, I'll keep at it, ta

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try these two links - they should have the information you need

http://feuerbacher.net/photo/repair/...icaAutoS2.html
    http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/search.cgi

Good luck
    Gord

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ta for the links gord, I've looked over that feuerbacher link probably a hundred times now but it's not really offering me anything. At no stage did i have the actual shutter apart, so nothing should have changed in there, it seems purely an adjustment thing but I can't see what else there is to play with, the stroke of the shutter button seems like 0.25mm too short...

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you check that it may come in contact with the front cover? Try to loosen the cover bolt and see if it works. If it is then you may left out a ring/spacer. Or if there are no spacer try tighten the bolt like how you would tighten car wheels. In a cross manner if you know what I mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After you take it the shutter assembly off the body, inspect if the shutter button linkage to the lens assembly, check if its moving freely and properly. Is it not going down far enough to trip it? Or its a bit bend out so its not touching correctly. Do you have to bend something up, down, in out or adjust with screws.

Secondly, cock the shutter by hand and fire it by hand (or screw driver), does all the linkage moves freely. Apply lube if necessary, VERY LIGHT at a time or it will seep in everywhere e.g. shutter and aperture blade.

If you have anymore questions or would like to discuss, feel free to pm me as well.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks a lot dehk, I've just gone through what you said - all the parts seem to be moving freely, as you suggested it is not going down far enough to trip it. Nothing seems bent, and nothing seems like it needs any lube. The part of the linkage directly connected to the shutter button shaft is moving freely and comes in contact with the lever on the lens assembly, but does not push it far enough to trip the shutter. When I do it manually, it fires easily and smoothly. There's one adjustment screw that I've found (in the pic in the first post) but no luck finding anything else that can help me out.

MFstooges - I actually thought that might be the case but it definitely seems free of the front cover. It seems almost as though the lens cover/assy is sitting too low (vertically, if you know what I mean), however there's no way it can move upwards.

Thanks a lot both of you, I'll keep trying and let you know if I have any progress.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two things that will give some people heart attacks here.
    1)Increase the length of the release shaft. IE: piece of pop can aluminum cut & shaped to fit & epoxied on.
    2)re form the lever that the shaft pushes. "Re form" is a technical term that means grab with a pliers and bend in the direction you want it to move. For .25mm it's barely a twitch.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No John, no heart attack here. Its all reasonable. Tsoby if I were you I'd go with option 2.

Now its my turn to give people more heart attacks. If the lever that the shaft pushes becomes too soft before or after you bend it.
    Take if off Heat it up with a torch it will stiffens it right up, but that means you really don't wanna bend much it after that.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin