Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,930   Online: 1196

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Worth noting that burgers has crossposted this to LFPF and got a very cool reply suggesting the use of a 3-way compact prism for beamsplitting. Such an arrangement should be on a similar order of depth as a traditional SLR mirror, which means you could maybe use retrofocus SLR lenses (RB67) to get normal/wide views.

Anyway, I suspect it'd be a good idea to implement decent tricolour printing (from consecutive shots on a rollfilm back) before building a camera like this. To me, the camera looks like a minor mechanical challenge of a similar order of complexity as a traditional camera build, just with a few more parts. The camera is of no use unless you can print (scan?) the separations, and the printing I think will be a real challenge.
    The advantage of a Philips prism is no loss of image brightness in the separation. All the red light goes out the red path, and likewise for the rest.

So it is a far faster camera. No beam splitter loss and no filter factor loss. Ok, there is probably some loss, but much less. But the prism is very expensive.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RGB, thanks for mentioning the plastic Curtis camera. I had no idea about that one.

No doubt that the whole printing step is an ordeal in its own right. However, remember, I'm set on this carbon dye-imbibition scheme. Color bromoil would be fantasti michael. You might be able to simply use lithographic process inks for this. Also, making slides might be easier if using a mordant process or even dye-toning. Scanning is also a very real possibility. Who knows how long we might linger in a world where LF color film doesn't exist and LF digital sensors are too expensive. Also, imagine if you could attach light sources to the film backs of a 3-color camera; you'd have a color projector!

But that's not the point of this discussion in my opinion, at present at least. Who knows when & if this will get built, but already we've advanced the effort and contributed something useful to the gods of analog photography. Even if it was only a teaching tool, it'd be worth it.

I think a prism design should be v.2.0. And what about dichroic reflectors? There likely exist reflectors with very high efficiency at transmitting 2 primaries while reflecting 1.

A few more on lenses from Scott B. over at vintagephoto.tv:

I have two 6.5x9cm Devins and they both have 5 1/4 inch Hugo Meyer Aristostigmat lenses (133mm).

Two of my 2x3 inch Curtis cameras have 7 1/2 inch (190mm) Goerz American Optical Dogmar lenses, and one has a 135mm Wollensak Raptar. The camera with the 135mm lens is later than the two with the longer lenses.

I have a 5x7 Curtis with a 14 inch Eastman Ektar.

My Devin and Bermpohl 5x7 cameras also have 30cm/14 inch lenses.

My two 9x12cm Bermpohls have 210mm and 215mm lenses.

The 133mm Curtis Stellar lens is truly unusual in the world of large format lenses as it is a retrofocus design. There is also a 90mm retrofocus Color Stellar lens that was fitted to the 2x3 Curtis. These lenses date to ca. 1956 and were designed and manufactured by Curtis Laboratories. I'm certain that the Stellar lenses were the widest to appear on a 2 or 1 reflector tri-color camera.

Also, I've got a fresh batch of patent #'s to search. I'll try get to this soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I should clarify what I wrote about the 5x7 inch cameras. Above I am quoted as having written 30cm/14 inch. In my email to Chris I meant to write that there are 30cm AND 14 inch lenses.

...Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is an interesting thread and I think it would be a fun and challenging project.

There is good discussion about what printing method to use. Certainly, the quickest and simplest way to make prints from the negatives would be to scan, assemble in Photoshop and make ink jet prints. It may not be the funnest and wettest method but guaranteed, you would have some beautiful prints.

I recently acquired a homemade bipack tri-color camera. As it's a bipack there is only one reflector. I have not had the time to examine it closely and probably won't in the near future. The photos are from the former owner, the son of the maker. OK, it's not in the same league as a 2 reflector camera, but it's an example of a color project that someone took on and completed. Whether it produced useable images is unknown.

...Scott

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0174.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	47499
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0172.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The beam splitter prisms were used in CCD cameras and an alternate "x" version for projectors, combining the sep beams into the single white out...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    just in case you haven't seen it, butkus has the devin manual online! Interesting read. You learn something every day here!

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/devin/devin.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out this post over at LFF. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post858137

A home-made tri-color! (though he's not certain that it's functional) -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/4317560...n/photostream/

There are many leads in that post, and I haven't had the time to go through them. I think I need to take a week off work...

Scott, the bipack camera is really something special! And since there are no bi-packs today, you could just use it for 2-color photography and make some Capstaff Kodachromes. It's a busy day in analog photography -> http://new55project.blogspot.com/201...l#comment-form

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Back to your choice of materials for a moment: thermal expansion is not really an issue, but warpage might well be. The odd piece of Delrin (acetal) is not particularly smooth or parallel-sided, and unless you are quite careful about removing the same amount from both sides to flatten it, internal stresses are likely to cause it to warps. Metals which are rolled flat tend to behave the same way, but there is a grade of aluminum alloy called "tooling plate" that is carefully processed to prevent exactly that. It is quite easy to machine, and available in various thicknesses.

The screw-alignment idea is workable but fiddly and probably bulky; you might consider assembling the body, making a final finish pass on each image-plane surface, and then making any needed further corrections using shims. Unless you have access to a coordinate measuring machine, or an optical table with an autocollimator and the ancillary stuff, you probably won't be able to get closer than a half-thousandth shim will take you anyway.

Sounds like a fun project; maybe make the film interface to mate with Hasselblad magazines (you just know what people are going to ask when they see it...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you haven't followed the LFF links to this French website, check out these two specifically, for starters. They're in English, from 1937.

A Practical Bi-Pack Color Camera by Warren T. Mithoff: http://trichromie.free.fr/trichromie.../2010/08/17/01

An Experimental One-Shot Color Camera by Warren T. Mithoff: http://trichromie.free.fr/trichromie.../2010/08/17/02

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input so far. Like I said in the beginning, this thread was created as a place for ideation and it's done well so far in that capacity. I'm sure more ideas will come with time, and maybe someday some practical steps.

Until then, we gotta keep shooting E6 and C-41...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin