Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,716   Online: 1165

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you go with plastic, I'd recommend black ABS. It is easy to machine, tough and bondable. Delrin/acetal machines well, but it is a bit brittle (relatively) and not very bondable. UHMW is can't really be glued at all. Coefficient of expansion really isn't all that important for what you are doing as long as the material is homogeneous (wood is not). For construction, CNC is the way to roll. All this said, wouldn't it be easier to just use three filters and three sheets of film in a 4x5? I realize it isn't as cool, but it would work as long as the scene isn't moving much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mark; being able to use adhesives would undoubtedly be helpful, although I was imagining that UHMW-P could be bolted together if there was a good way to "sink" thread-inserts into it. But ABS sounds good.

Taking sequential exposures is fine for still lifes, but one-shots were invented to fulfill the need for people & action photography.

Though more importantly I guess, I see the act of building something, discussing some kind of optical system, or investigating any number of seemingly archaic things as an end in it's own right. I'm not necessarily striving to find practical solutions that serve photography, rather, the study is enough. If in the end these investigations can be served by photography, well that's awesome.
    Last edited by holmburgers; 03-13-2012 at 11:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Make sure the glue is black to light and infrared. Hate to see a light leak from a seam.

How about making a three-lens camera that partitions one sheet of film in thirds.

Angle the three lenses so they aim at one focus point.

Then just sit back and enjoy the tricolor rainbow where parallax throws some of the image out of register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin