Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,894   Online: 1151

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black fence paint from Tractor Supply, comes in gallon cans, dries hard and very flat black.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The flatest black I have found is Winsor Newton Jet black Designers Gouache. Being a water colour; Mixing it with a small amount of acrylic matte medium will allow it to be applied to surfaces other than paper. You would have to experiment with the ratio to get the needed durability and water resistance. Price would also be reasonable.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No Home Depot... Macdonalds... round cheap no taste sandwiches? we have! although we do not have that paint!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    New stuff? OH MAN they can't do that to me. I used my 6 cans up n looking to buy more very soon. New formula? NOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The original stuff (first link in Peter's post #3) has a squared off cap, the newer stuff has a rounded cap. As soon as you see it you'll know the difference...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm going to an old harware store where the guy was getting the paint mostly for me. So it's possble he still has a shelf full.... I'm taking it all!

I use the stuff all the time. My last 6 cans lasted a year.

Restocking time.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Some Hi Temp Flat Black paint for grills, looks just like the real thing.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found the black matt from model car shops the best, any matt spray never worked. Humbrol No33 I belive

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No Home formulations?
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Using the above material "Avian Black" as a starting point for a quick search through the MSDS for this "MIL-DTL-64159 TY-II Black 383 CARC" product, I have found one that lists the pigment as 6% Carbon Black (by weight) in a urethane coating.

So for a home brew version it would look to be your choice of clear base "paint" and add by weight 6% Carbon Black. That's a lot of carbon black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, you asked for a home formulation, you got it! How useful this is, I can't say...

From Wall & Jordan's Photographic Facts & Formulas:

Black for Cameras - This may be used for wood or leather, inside or out:

Nigrosine, spirit soluble ------------------- 2.5 g
    Bismark brown ---------------------------- 0.65 g
    Denatured alcohol or methylated spirit - 3.0 ccm
    Aniline ------------------------------------- 29 ccm

Heat the dyes with the alcohol until dissolved, and then add the aniline; apply with a brush and dry before the fire or in the sun. Or, for a dead matt varnish, lampblack may be rubbed up with gold size or shellac varnish, using as little of the liquid as possible; then thin down with turpentine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin