Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,791   Online: 984

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Deepest, flatest, mattest, blackest, PAINT!

I protected my yashica mat today against internal flare... a real problem that i hope to have solved with some black matte self adesive felt velvety thing made in germany and waaayyyyyy less reflective than the original paint... but now i feel i have to protect all my lens boards... because some are (by comparaison) really shiny... but PAINT would be easyer...

i have tryed some matte black spray paint things, and besides not being really black they aren´t matte either...

How can i make this paint... i read that adding some coarse corn starch in some matte paint would help...

Any help?????

Thanks!!!!!!!
    vive la resistance!

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I will watch this and make notes, as I want the same information - I am answering your post to make it jump up the list a bit

Thanks
    John

Shooter
    35mm
    Krylon 1602 if you can find it (they claim to have it here):
    http://www.filmtools.com/krulflbl1shb.html

Reference:
    http://lss.fnal.gov/archive/tm/TM-1172.pdf

We actually went through this exercise at work (building an optical instrument for an opthamologist) and ended
    up sourcing some horrendously expensive "Avian Black" from a place in NH, because we needed low reflectance at
    an infrared wavelength. The Krylon 1602 came up over and over in our searches...
    Last edited by Peter Simpson; 03-12-2012 at 06:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Project story & availability note

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way... i used a stationary black matte self adesive product not the one that is used in telescopes, but i think it will work, if i cannot make or get a paint that i really see that it´s an improvement over the regular matte black paint i will use this adesive to improve the internal flare in my LF lensboards and in my laborator 1000, it´s cheap and easy... although i really would like to get a paint that would became a sandpaper really matte surface!

thanks
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Krylon acrylic ULTRA FLAT BLACK is the best for camera work.

Peter I see you beat me to it.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well... i´m in Portugal, Europe, that product only ships by ground... or is the Bering Strait dry?
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah come on you guys have McDonalds n Home Depot there, why not Krylon paint?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Krylon acrylic ULTRA FLAT BLACK is the best for camera work.
    Yep, that's the stuff.

I believe it was reformulated due to environmental and durability (it's pretty soft once dry) concerns. Unfortunately the replacement is not as "dead" as the original. I bought up several cans for future use before it changed. I read somewhere that the original formula is/was used by amateur telescope makers to coat the insides of their tubes.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    New stuff? OH MAN they can't do that to me. I used my 6 cans up n looking to buy more very soon. New formula? NOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think 3M used to make a product that almost sucked the light out of a room, the flattest black hole of a spray paint I've ever seen, or should I say didn't see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin