Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,258   Online: 998

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

XA Shutter Button Modification

I am not the biggest fan of the XA's shutter button, so when my DVD player broke and I tore it open (like I always do when electronics break), I found these little buttons inside of it. I then desoldered one from the circuit board and took out the XA's shutter botton mechanism and soldered the DVD player's button to the two wires that control the XA's electronic shutter system:

Works like a charm, it is much better than the original shutter button and I believe I can hold the camera much more steady now. Cut a hole in some electrical tape and that is what keeps it snug and dry.

Thought I'd share a mod for all since it seems the XA is all over this forum of late
    Last edited by zsas; 03-15-2012 at 01:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fix image
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nice! Looks a bit like the XA1 shutter button. (still desperately trying to resist the urge to buy an XA2...)
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am resisting the urge too (want another XA though) one w b/w one for color
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I want one in the first place!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format

repair option

The button on my XA2 has gone bad, and this may be a great idea to repair the camera. Thanks for taking the time to share this idea, and the photos showing your work. It's a clever and original mod that I had not thought of, and the my camera is not worth sending out for repair, as the repair would be more than a replacement camera, so I'll definitely consider this.

My XA2 can take some awesome pictures, and looking at the Kodachromes next to ones from the OM1n or the Nikon it's hard to tell which is which, quality wise. Sorry, Leica people, but it works great. It needs seals, and it was great until this shutter button problem came up. I can get the seals, of course. Small, handy, and "it's there when you need it." I really miss my XA2, sniffle, sniffle.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you wish, drop me a PM with your addy and one of my DVD buttons is in the mail for you gratis
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format

repair manual

On the subject of XA repairs, maybe this has been posted a million times before, but anyway, here is a link to a free XA repair manual, in case anyone stumbles across this and says, "Oh, I need to fix mine, too.":

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

scroll down to Olympus XA, and note the login instructions at the top of the page. A wealth of other repair manuals are there, also (including Rolleiflex TLR, Yashica TLR, and many others).

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    jstout- PM replied, the former DVD >PLAY button will go out in tomorrow's post for ya
    Andy

Shooter
    127 Format
    This is great. I have a couple of Leica C1 cameras that would be sweet except that their switches have failed. (cheap tin bubble switches)

There are about 4 along the top including the shutter button. I will try this out.

It will look like a porcupine with all those buttons sticking up! Hi-larious.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    I love what you have done. I also have a non-functioning shutter on my XA. The switch you installed is a momentary switch. It closes the circuit. Do you have to press it again to release it for the next shot? I.e. Press twice. Just wondering. Fantastic idea though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin