Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,368   Online: 874

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    these are the operative words that a lot of DIY folks, both novices and experienced, often don't want to acknowledge. It once bothererd me that they wouldn't listen and heed that warning. I'm now resigned to the fact that they may not mind that frustration. I now refrain from objection until they take the afore mentioned advise (and, yes PR, I know you were being snarky not serious) and sell the improperly cleaned and erraticly operting camera as "freshly CLA'd" but with a no return policy.
    I can't believe we're dissuading people from learning to do things on their own here. Let's not assume the guy is just going to ditch out at the first sign of difficulty. :-)

Maybe that's the case - but history has actually shown that in a lot of DIYer cases they desire to take it to completion - because the same drive that makes them want to work on it in the first place is the same drive that makes them want to finish it.

He should be encouraged to take the risk and self-educate along the way - for if we always had to rely on someone else for everything we'd basically be the equivalent of a useless cash dispenser.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I can't believe we're dissuading people from learning to do things on their own here.
    I see your point, but don't think there is much dussuading going on. More like helping people think the process through to accomplish their goal. Learning new skills is great and should be encouraged. But when it stops being great is when someone (not implying that the OP is that "someone" of course) gets the notion that they can do an incomplete job and have the same results as if the complete job had been done. My feeling is that if someone wants a reliable shutter than they should learn to do the whole job or send it to someone who does. Whole job = clean and lube per manufacturer spec. If someone can tolerate a potentially unreliable shutter, then flush it with solvent on it and see if it works good enough for the need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah I think I understand where you're coming from. Proliferate solid work, rather than hack-jobs approaches as a replacement for quality work.

Agreed.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Worth has nothing to do with this thread.
    No that's wrong, worth comes into it along the line.

Yes having a go at a $10 camera / shutter is one end of the line but having a go at a more valuable lens/shutter and causing damage that would inflate the cost of a proper CLA is the other and we all have different cut off points.

It's not about putting people off from having a go, far from it, it's more about having some sense to how & what you do, and having a fall back for failures. There's a few websites with details of shutter repairs/servicing but not enough to be really helpful.

There's nothing worse than buying a good lens where someone's done bodged shutter repair.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holy moly. An interesting conversation with lots of great answers. Ask a question and go away for a couple of days, and look what happens.

Before the auction even ended, I regretted the purchase because I am a user, not a collector, and didn't want a piece of junk lying around, even for $10. Spur-of-the-moment purchasing is behavior I don't want to practice. When it arrived, I expected it to be a piece of junk, but the more I handled it the better it felt - it's a beautiful little piece of pre-WWII German engineering. The shutter does fire so it's marginally usable as it is. The lens is a mess. I removed the outer and inner elements and somebody must have put axle grease on the threads. I will need some new tools to get the shutter off because the retaining ring is one of those that screws on with surface notches 180 degrees from each other. The bellows could do with some beeswax. There is one small hole that will need some liquid electricians tape.

When it's all done, I'll run a couple of rolls through it and maybe put it on the fireplace mantel or give it to my son-in-law so he can try medium format in the raw.

BTW, I already have a 1948 zone-focusing Zeiss folder that is getting the $100 CLA from Paul Ebel right now. I paid $100 for it on the bay, played with it for a couple years and have decided to use it as a daily walk-arounder. So, economically, there's $200 plus shipping that I could never get out of it, but I don't want to. I want to make pictures with it.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 03-26-2012 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Oh, and if it does work n he's hooked?... we have another guy we can sell our old broken cameras to..... shuuussssh.
    That wouldn't be a bad idea, 10 years from now when I plan to retire. One more thing to keep me out of my wife's way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    micro-tools.com for the lens spanner you'll need for the retaining ring. :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Something I discovered when cleaning my first shutter/aperture assembly (Canonet G-III): after soaking with naphtha of your choice, the liquid will remain between the blades a lot longer than it does where it is exposed to air. Capillary action and surface tension *may* act to prevent motion of these blades until the liquid evaporates. I thought I had wrecked the mechanism. Waited a (seemingly long) time and they freed right up.

If Micro-tools doesn't have it, try a "General" brand vernier caliper and a divider set from Amazon or some cheap tool importer. Grind the points down with a Dremel tool to fit whatever it is you're trying to loosen. Worked well for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    micro-tools.com for the lens spanner you'll need for the retaining ring. :-)
    $83! To work on my $10 camera. AAAACK!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    $83! To work on my $10 camera. AAAACK!
    There's cheaper one's available, and some of their kit options are a decent deal.

You can also use a set of metal calipers available at a hardware store.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin