Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,596   Online: 856

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    You can also use a set of metal calipers available at a hardware store.
    Dual purpose! Even better if they are locking type!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    $83! To work on my $10 camera. AAAACK!
    You have to look at it as an investment. $83 to work on 10 more $10 cameras in the future! I always thought that tool purchases were a totally separate hobby... so buying as many as needed/wanted was OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    You have to look at it as an investment. $83 to work on 10 more $10 cameras in the future! I always thought that tool purchases were a totally separate hobby... so buying as many as needed/wanted was OK.
    Also, you need to have the proper tool for the job, and to know how to use it. If screwdrivers don't fit, they damage the screws. If wrenches don't fit, they cause damage. If you can find a real gunsmith (as opposed to those butchers on TV), look at his bench. You'll notice a lot of screwdrivers that have been ground or filed to fit specific screws. It is inexcusably bad workmanship to allow a tool to slip and damage whatever you are working on, be it an old Kodak Ball-Bearing shutter or an Earnshaw box chronometer.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought one of these - $22, and ground the tips down:
    http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Outside.../dp/B000OVJZH4
    I also bought one of these - $8, and ground down the inside measurement jaws:
    http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-...sr=1-1-catcorr

A set of small screwdrivers and some rubber lab stoppers (had them, but a chemistry supply place will have them) completed my "tool kit"
    I was able to remove both inner and outer lens assemblies from the Canonet G-III with these and some careful work.

The initial tool set doesn't have to cost a fortune. Just work carefully and slowly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Over the years I have become well aware of the need for good tools - in landscaping, home repair, auto maintenance, etc. However, I am not intending at this time to get into the camera repair business, but only into the business of repairing *this* camera.

I will admit that these cameras, medium format folders, have created a certain fascination for me. There is a lot of temptation there to enter into the accumulation of tools to start learning how to fix them up and make them usable. However, I am in no position to start a new hobby; I already hardly have time to dedicate to karate, photography or gardening. In the meantime I'll scout around and keep my eyes open for whenever a spanner makes itself available at a price I want to pay. These opportunities seem to happen when one simply looks for them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    E-Clip pliers come in several sizes n styles. They also have em with interchangeable tips so you can modify them as you like to fit different situations. I look for the type tyhat I can also lock to a specific opening. Nice all around tool, multi use, n cheap off the shelf item at auto suppliy stores.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    E-Clip pliers come in several sizes n styles. They also have em with interchangeable tips so you can modify them as you like to fit different situations. I look for the type tyhat I can also lock to a specific opening. Nice all around tool, multi use, n cheap off the shelf item at auto suppliy stores.
    The tool you refer to is for installing and removing snap rings, nothing else. It is not for turning retaining rings, there is a proper spanner for that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, a spanner is what you like to use but it's not law to have one; is it?

Tools don't make the mechanic, mechanics make the tools.

In 40 some odd years of being a mechanic I have emassed many multi use tools, modified as well as manufatured many of my own for specific jobs using off the shelf items such as e-clip pliers, hemostats, dental tools, none of which were designed specifically for camera repair but they all seem to work just fine. Using a bottle stopper is not a proper tool for removing a beauty ring is it?... I use a plumbers test plug.. not really intended for camera repairs but it works.

How skilled you are using them is a different story. Having a $200 spanner won't make you a better repairmen, only practice n skill can do that.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are only wishing to try and fix one cheapo camera, you can do it with two screw drivers. I dont recommend this as slippage is very easy and you could mar the lens or surrounding areas.

You can even make your own with a short section of tubing, where you cut away everything but the 2 nibs at one end to engage the space designed for the spanner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    OK, a spanner is what you like to use but it's not law to have one; is it?

Tools don't make the mechanic, mechanics make the tools.

How skilled you are using them is a different story. Having a $200 spanner won't make you a better repairmen, only practice n skill can do that.

There are many novice repairmen reading this thread, and my posts are for them. Only a talented and experienced person can make do with "makeshift" tools, the novice needs to learn what the proper procedure and proper tool is before he can start looking around for tools to adapt to the job at hand. This is a very common misconception, that someone starting out can get by with makeshift tools, the opposite is the reality.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin