Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,975   Online: 1047

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post

You can even make your own with a short section of tubing, where you cut away everything but the 2 nibs at one end to engage the space designed for the spanner.
    Excellent suggestion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    There are many novice repairmen reading this thread, and my posts are for them. Only a talented and experienced person can make do with "makeshift" tools, the novice needs to learn what the proper procedure and proper tool is before he can start looking around for tools to adapt to the job at hand. This is a very common misconception, that someone starting out can get by with makeshift tools, the opposite is the reality.
    Realy? Well when I started at the age of 15 I used 2 screw driver to open spanners n even used scisors. It wasn't untill I I can afford or even had any good reason to need one, that I purchased a proper spanner. Spend so much money on something that you may not even like? If you are just playing around with a $10 junker, it doesn't make any sense at all to invest in tools first then learn. I've seen too many DIY mechanics with a garage full of beautiful tools n have no idea or even have the talent to use em. Waste of money! I believe in the try then buy theory.

So all you DIYer reading this; go ahead n use what every you can make due till you decide if this is for you. This isn't rocket science, it's a learned skill a caveman can do with a little experimenting... just have fun.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Realy? Well when I started at the age of 15 I used 2 screw driver to open spanners n even used scisors. It wasn't untill I I can afford or even had any good reason to need one, that I purchased a proper spanner. Spend so much money on something that you may not even like? If you are just playing around with a $10 junker, it doesn't make any sense at all to invest in tools first then learn. I've seen too many DIY mechanics with a garage full of beautiful tools n have no idea or even have the talent to use em. Waste of money! I believe in the try then buy theory.

So all you DIYer reading this; go ahead n use what every you can make due till you decide if this is for you. This isn't rocket science, it's a learned skill a caveman can do with a little experimenting... just have fun.
    Sure. Go right ahead, use anything that comes to hand. When you get tired of marring/damaging/destroying whatever you are working on, you'll value the proper tool even more.

Just don't damage yourselves.Scissors are for cutting things like paper and fabric, not DIY camera tinkerers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sure. Go right ahead, use anything that comes to hand. When you get tired of marring/damaging/destroying whatever you are working on, you'll value the proper tool even more.

Just don't damage yourselves.Scissors are for cutting things like paper and fabric, not DIY camera tinkerers.
    Come on, get real. This isn't a professional or a guy starting a shop working on valuable museum cameras. He's a first timer working on a $10 broken junker speculating on starting a new hobby. If it works out n he enjoys what he's done n learned someting along the way, he'll go out buy some tools n persure a new hobby. When I was in busines I made most of my tools and used whatever I had. I never had to buy special use tools and I am still using the same home made tools from 45 years ago. I have DIY sheet metal spanners.. are they OK to use as spanners or is sheet metal meant to be used for something else? You have absolutely no imagination.

Sheesh man lighten up n get off your high horse. Stop feeling so full of yourself n make a big deal over nothing. I notice this alot around here lately. I've given alot of people hands on "how to" advice, many of these same people are now very competant DIYers. How did you get started; using a $200 spanner?... every tool was store bought n has a very specific use? Get a life!

I'm out of here, sick n tired of this crap.

DIYers use whatever your imagination can conger up, it's all about the fun not some jerk telling you need expensive tools.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are many novice repairmen reading this thread, and my posts are for them. Only a talented and experienced person can make do with "makeshift" tools, the novice needs to learn what the proper procedure and proper tool is before he can start looking around for tools to adapt to the job at hand. This is a very common misconception, that someone starting out can get by with makeshift tools, the opposite is the reality.
    What I said. I'm done too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HAH! I just realized that my Eddie Bauer multi-tool scissor has little spanner blades built into the handle! But that means using the scissor blades as the handle so I suppose I'll be in danger of dying from a horrible injury. Oh well, no guts, no glory.

- I ain't got time to bleed. Jesse Ventura

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin