Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,605   Online: 816

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Universal Roamer II

I took a $20 chance on this on eBay. It came with the box and looked somewhat taken care of, but of course the seller "didn't know much about cameras."

It is a late 40's model Universal Camera Corporation "Roamer II." For the most part it looks like its in good shape. Minimal rust spots, lens looks mostly clear, leather is all in tact, bellows appear to be in good shape, shutter release moves up and down easily... However the shutter appears to be stuck, along with the aperture blades.

I figured out how to unscrew the lens and get to the mechanisms but that's as far as I'm willing to go, as I have ZERO repair experience. From the pictures below, does this look repairable? Or should I chalk it up to a $20 piece of junky home decor?

Would anyone be willing to help me get the shutter operable for a nominal fee and a case of beer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332961462.386202.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    50 views and not a single reply?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's certainly worth a shot. That looks like it ought to work no sweat.

I would put some solvent on a cotton swab and dab it around where things look like the pivot, pushing the little levers here and there very gently until the two blades move -- those shutters are very simple things, mechanically, and usually just get dry and stuck. Once it moves even a bit you'll see which does what and it should loosen up.

I have an old bottle of dry cleaning fluid I use for such things -- it evaporates without residue. Try to find something like that.

The main thing is just don't force anything.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Do it! What you can lose? It can be simple fix or not? And if you succeed you will be very proud of it! Last night, my 16 year old son fixed Kodak 6x9 Brownie. Does this camera use 120 or 620 film?
    Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It can use either 120 or 620.

As for a solvent, what is the suggestion? And what do you use to relubricate it?

The focus thing around the lens is also nearly frozen. I'll have to take the lens apart I guess.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    O, that is easy question. For camera related things, like cleaning old grease nothing beats Ronsonol - lighter fluid.
    For lubricating - white lithium grease, you can buy it in Home depot.
    Don't go crazy with it, less is more! Also take detailed, close up pictures of all your steps if you take thing apart.
    If you like to go fancy there are special camera/lenses lubricants at http://www.micro-tools.com
    Good luck!
    Goran

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin