Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,835   Online: 782

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jhw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Friendly competition... Will this scratch make a difference?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9656.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	48896

This pic shot in the sleezy-camera-swap-buyer mode, with bright light from behind the lens...
    From the front, it looks hair-thin, but does catch my fingernail...
    It's not in the center... Seems to just be in the coating, not down to the glass...
    We know that lenses with huge pits, marks, spots, shattered portions can still make (albeit, less contrasty) images...

Test roll shot backlit, front and sidelit went to lab today, back in 2 days... But just wondering if folks think, as I hope, that the only harm this does is to the resale value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it catches your fingernail; it is much deeper than the coating. You could minimize any artifacts or effects from it by colouring it black.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, I've shot a lens with a friggen crack through it and was astonished when my films came back fine. That's no exaggeration. It all depends on lens design, angle of light, yada yada. Just saying though.

EDIT: it was a 1952 Tessar lens that was dropped by a friend. We were hoping for some cool, weird light streaks, etc.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a lens with a much worse scratch then that, more like a crack actually. It's still one of the sharpest lenses I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know for a fact that what other folks are saying is true. But I'm anal about such things. Or... maybe I'm just spoiled rotten. Okay... I KNOW I'm spoiled rotten. But my guess is this would always worry you on every single shot. Me? I have enough stresses that I want to minimize my worries... logical or not. I'd wait for a nicer lens. But, again, that's just me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I say no impact, however, to prove definitively you will need a mint version of the same lens shot indentical settings....not like you could do that, so how will we know? I doubt it will have a streak across the neg, so how will it be shown to be good/bad when one could argue low contrast was due to your film stock, agitation, dev.....etc, etc....? Ok I am overthinking it...so in short - no impact
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 150mm lens for my Mamiya 645 1000s with a scuff on the lens. I haven't been able to inspect big enlargements, but the 6x4.5 negatives themselves show nothing out of the ordinary.
    Last edited by Dshambli; 04-03-2012 at 09:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It adds slightly to the amount of "flare" in the overall scene, which will reduce the contrast index in a way that you will probably need a transmission densitomiter to measure.

Very, very carefully paint the scratch black with India Ink to keep light out of the scratch, and you'll loose just that much of the area of the lens for the imaging field.

Or say "screw it, it's worthless now" and send it to me to dispose of for you.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

jhw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all... trend seems to be 'ah, not perfect, but what is...so chill, it'll be fine.' I've a bit of Old-n-Feeble in me and want things as they were meant to be...so, heck, Michael here could be in luck On the other hand, this is an S-mount, so to find another might be quite some time...
    The India ink sounds interesting; though, I imagine if I was conscious of flare-inducing angles and compositions and shaded/hooded as needed, I can just shoot and be happy. I'm looking forward to Thursday, to see that, indeed, lenses are tough, and I won't be able to see a darn thing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got practically the same lens with a bit of filter ring abuse - it is a great lens for black and white or color. Or maybe it's the afternoon light at the beach that makes for great pictures, and I always seem to take the Contax to the beach...

I share the opinion with the gang who says "it only matters if you're reselling it." And "a little judicious india ink will mitigate any reflection when aimed at the sun".

I once returned a lens to a camera shop for having a tiny black speck. In exchange, I got a nice APS camera* and had to go out and buy the same lens somewhere else.

*Gave the APS camera to my dad, and he got the best pictures ever with it. So although I got rooked there was a silver lining...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin