Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,702   Online: 1140

Shooter
    Medium Format

Zeiss Planar 50 mm 1.4 repair

I have been looking for information about how to take apart my Zeiss Planar 50 mm 1.4 lens to repair the stuck aperture blades for years without success. I have two of this lens. One had oily aperture blades now the aperture is stuck open and the other has broken aperture mechanism inside. One is a MM version and the other is an AE. They look almost identical. I am willing to risk one to try to fix it then apply the knowledge to the other one. For many years I could not find any information about how to take the lens apart.

Well, I now found this on the internet:
    http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,...5.html#1222565

The picture posted in that thread shows the front barrel of the lens (along with the name ring as part of the barrel) removed. It is the part on the left side of the picture.

Does anyone know how that front lens barrel is removed or unscrewed? I have tried to unscrew it (by assuming that it is screwed on) it in clockwise and counterclockwise with my bare hands with no success. I can't find a lens wrench of that size (don't know the size either). Does anyone ever worked on this lens? I have contacted a good repair shop and was quoted a price enough to buy a used one. I bought the MM version of mine new and it is still spanking new today. I really like to get it fixed. The AE version one was bought by me as a replacement for the MM one but it broke down only after one year of use. I do not want to try to get another one to yet getting into another broken one. So I want to do it myself. I have fixed a few lenses and cameras and I am quite handy. I just need to find out how to do it and will buy the necessary tools to get it down.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Two things to try- first, a rubber jar lid gripper to try and turn the front retaining ring. Failing that, you need to get a variable diameter spanner wrench. Look for them at your local hobby shop to find one that is small enough and precise enough, or failing that, try eBay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Two things to try- first, a rubber jar lid gripper to try and turn the front retaining ring. Failing that, you need to get a variable diameter spanner wrench. Look for them at your local hobby shop to find one that is small enough and precise enough, or failing that, try eBay.
    I will look for a rubber gripper something like that to try. Hopefully it will not scratch the lens barrel. What is a variable diameter spanner wrench? Will it likely to leave a scratch on the lens barrel?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spanner wrench are to take the metal rings with notches on it off. You can scratch the rings too. But most likely you will need this tool. In most cases you will chip the paint off here and there when you take lens apart. To avoid that try taping metal tools with electrical tape.
    It actually look fairly simple to take it apart.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did some search and realized what I need is a rubber strap wrench. It is available from hardware stores and eBay. I can wrap the lens barrel with duct tape first then use the rubber strap wrench trying to unscrew the barrel.

Now the question is which way to turn. Clockwise or counterclockwise? Any know about it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should be anti-clockwise for removal. Check around the perimeter for <1mm setscrews first or they make horrendous scratches.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    It should be anti-clockwise for removal. Check around the perimeter for <1mm setscrews first or they make horrendous scratches.
    Great. Thanks a lot. What set screws? I could not find any set screws on the barrel and under the rubber grip. I believe there are none to hold the barrel in place.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin