Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,167   Online: 830

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

How bad does it have to be?

Hi all
    im looking at a Rollei on eBay and the vendor states the lens has scratchs and fungus on the taking lens, my question is how bad does it have to be before the pics are badly affected, can, if the marks are minor it be repaired, I could live with some minor defects, heck it might give a dreamy effect to the pics lomoesk style.
    any advice welcomed

Shooter
    35mm RF
    if you can see the fungus in pics it is pretty bad, even if it is cleaned up, the lens surface is damaged, as far as scratches go, or cleaning marks you can use a hood to avoid reflections, or use a black marker and fill them in.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Roverman and welcome to APUG. Save some money, buy a box camera instead.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had couple of foggy lenses: they are giving some special efect that is ok for playing around, but not for excellent results. For example cheap but clear industar gave me better results than foggy elmar. So in your case - it is better to buy flexaret (or other cheaper TLR) in exc. condition that foggy, full of fungus rollei

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fungus and haze are the larger problems. Check the link below for an article on how bad scratches can be, yet still give a decent image. The example is extreme, but very informative.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...ment-scratches

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tqu4lw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    fungus indicates more damage inside -- you don't want that camera. You can do far better for not much more money.

that lens rentals deal is a real gas, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amazing amount of scratches have little effect on the image. HOWEVER, fungus is a major problem not because little will affect the image but it will spread if not cleaned properly.

I had an enlarger lens that had a good amount of fungus. It has eaten into the coating and in process of cleaning it, major part of it flaked right off. In other experience, just a light fungus cleaned off by simply wiping it with regular lens cleaner. I don't know how much money you are talking about but you really won't know if it will clean acceptably until you try it.

I wouldn't purchase a lens (or a camera with lens) with fungus. If you want a dreamy image, you could use a filter.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is an article on fungus from a Contax repair site. Info should apply to all lenses however. I never knew about the two types of fungus.

http://www.zeisscamera.com/services_...tml#lensfungus

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wkuxyr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the fast replies, those two artilcles made good reading.
    knowing the way things work on eBay I've got a feeling that the camera will go for silly money even with these flaws, I may just take a punt on it, but a a low price.
    quite like the idea of a baby Rollei, how hard is it to get the 127 film, I suppose I'd have to develop it myself, will it produce images of an equal character as a big rolleiflex?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverman View Post
    how hard is it to get the 127 film, I suppose I'd have to develop it myself
    Only two makers of 127 film left that I know. EFKE make an ISO 100 black & white film, and Bluefire make a colour negative film. (Suspected to be reloaded Kodak Portra 160.)

http://www.bluefire.ca/BluefireMurano.htm

The EFKE you could easily develop yourself. I have shot the Bluefire and had it processed (C41) at a pro lab. Results were very nice, much closer to 6x6 quality than 35mm quality.

There's a reason that 4x4 SuperSlides were popular, they deliver really nice results (in a size that still fit most 35mm projectors.)
    My other camera is a Pentax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin