Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

synchro compur slow speed stick

Just got a rolleiflex k2a that was stored 40 years with a stuck shutter. I removed the lens elements and took it down to the speed control ring and flushed it out with lighter fluid. The good news is it now fires and sounds good, bad news is at about 1/25 and slower, the shutter sticks open till I rotate speed ring to a faster speed. I didn't take any of the clockwork apart, pretty sure I got all the spring loaded parts in place when I replaced the speed ring (3 parts as far as I know) and put VERY small drops of sewing machine oil on the shafts of the slow speed gears. Any ideas where I went wrong or maybe pics of how it should look?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikthered View Post
    Just got a rolleiflex k2a that was stored 40 years with a stuck shutter. I removed the lens elements and took it down to the speed control ring and flushed it out with lighter fluid. The good news is it now fires and sounds good, bad news is at about 1/25 and slower, the shutter sticks open till I rotate speed ring to a faster speed. I didn't take any of the clockwork apart, pretty sure I got all the spring loaded parts in place when I replaced the speed ring (3 parts as far as I know) and put VERY small drops of sewing machine oil on the shafts of the slow speed gears. Any ideas where I went wrong or maybe pics of how it should look?
    The shutter needs to be properly cleaned and properly lubricated. Bring it to someone who knows how, and will take the time to do it properly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Synchro Copurs are overly complicated and delicate. Flushing will spread dirt and lube to new paces. It needs to be stripped down,cleaned, relubed, and reassembled, as has been said.

The only Synchro Compur I have brought back to life was on a Rolleicord Va. I added three very small drops of oil, one to each main pivot in the slow speed mechanism. If it hadn't worked, I would have been looking at a complete strip down in my experience.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well your attempt at least gives you a sign of hope, it will work once it is cleaned properly.

If you saw no change after the lighter fluid, that may not have been a good sign.

Do a proper job n you will have a beautiful reliable camera for a long time.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Synchro Copurs are overly complicated and delicate......
    Where on earth did you get that idea?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Synchro Copurs are overly complicated and delicate.
    Sorry to disagree, Dan.

Those that I've worked on have been quite robust and reliable. I used to repair these professionally.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It may need more than one shot at the flushing. Since you're relying on the cleaner coming out of the shutter there's quite a bit that May remain. Sorta like trying to clean a good brush and not get color on the paper towel.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flushing a shutter is an extremely bad idea.

Send it to somebody who knows what he's doing for a proper CLA.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Flushing a shutter is an extremely bad idea.
    Flushing a shutter without subsequently lubricating it properly is a bad idea.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Flushing a shutter without subsequently lubricating it properly is a bad idea.
    The only reason for flushing a shutter is because it has not been disassembled.

If it's still assembled it cannot be properly lubricated.

Therefore, if it's being flushed it cannot be lubricated, properly or otherwise, by definition.

- Leigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin