Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,568   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Weak springs on a Graflok back.

I'm restoring an old Graflok back. Cleaning, painting, new GG, etc. The one thing I've noticed is that when the GG section is slid in it has a bit of movement. Probably 1 or 1.5mm, fore and aft, which would affect focus. Visually the springs look OK and the chrome arms aren't bent. Are the springs just weak from age? What would be a good fix for this other than buying another back or springs (if they can even be found)?
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Wade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did the original focusing screen have a Fresnel lens? If it did, and you didn't reinstall it, this is why the new GG is loose.

ETA: You are asking about the retaining fasteners for the GG, right?
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 04-23-2012 at 02:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try cleaning the pivot point of the chrome arms with some naphtha, and then letting a drop or two of light oil work it's way in there. It helped mine a lot.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    I'm restoring an old Graflok back. Cleaning, painting, new GG, etc. The one thing I've noticed is that when the GG section is slid in it has a bit of movement. Probably 1 or 1.5mm, fore and aft, which would affect focus. Visually the springs look OK and the chrome arms aren't bent. Are the springs just weak from age? What would be a good fix for this other than buying another back or springs (if they can even be found)?
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Wade
    The springs could be weakened from inserting something thicker than the normal filmholders, or there could be crud preventing the springs working as they should. Finding another frame might be the easiest fix, these things aren't scarce. Yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
    You could try cleaning the pivot point of the chrome arms with some naphtha, and then letting a drop or two of light oil work it's way in there. It helped mine a lot.
    Yup.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you remove the springs and bend them gently a little so that they will apply more pressure? If you can they will be as good as new or better.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably the GG is a different thickness or a fresnel lens is missing. The frame is made of aluminum pot metal and can corrode. The "chrome" arms can be lubed with a light grease or a drop or two of oil and worked back and forth a few times to loosen them up.
    Last edited by mopar_guy; 04-23-2012 at 08:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Did the original focusing screen have a Fresnel lens? If it did, and you didn't reinstall it, this is why the new GG is loose.

ETA: You are asking about the retaining fasteners for the GG, right?
    Not the retaining clips for the GG. The broken GG fit snug and the new one does too. I don't think this version had a Fresnel. It's the springs that tension the hold down arms for the whole back.

I will try a more thorough cleaning of the springs and pivots and add light oil sparingly to see if that does the job. If not maybe the springs can be bent slightly as suggested.

My first thought was to bend the arms but that notion passed quickly as they might break. They look strong being a 'chrome' color but not knowing the actual metal it was a chance I didn't want to take.

It's true there are more on the market. Prices, especially on ebay, can get way too high though. I paid less than $100 for an entire Crown Graphic with the back. The only things wrong were the back and folding hood so I don't have a lot invested in this project.
    Thanks for the suggestions so far,
    Wade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not bend the springs. The metal is formed then heat treated to the proper hardness to create the spring. Bending after heat treating could either break them and/or cause a fracture, which will eventually break.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's the big Graflok springs then I'd try cleaning and lubing... as others already suggested. I can't remember the way they're made but, if they're coil springs, then maybe they just need to be tightened another turn?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin