Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,413   Online: 888

Shooter
    35mm

Replacing a missing shutter/lens on a TLR - possible?

Hello,
    first of all: My name is Christian and I'm new on this forum.

I've had a "broken" Zeiss Ikoflex Ia laying around in my basement for a couple of years, I kept it as a possible organ donor for a fully functional model that I used extensively.
    Now this working Ikoflex was stolen (along with 2 other cameras, I'm still heartbroken over the sentimental value) and I was thinking:
    Is it possible to replace the missing shutter/lens assembly?

The camera itself is complete and fully functioning, just some gummed lubricant here and there and a completely missing leatherette but thats all fixable, the pictures probably tell the story better

There are also a couple of metal shims that were probably used to adjust the taking lens. Since I've never actually cared about the technical side of TLR lenses I have absolutely no idea whether or not the original Prontor SVS shutter was the exact same model used in other TLRs with this type of shutter (which means that I would just hunt down a TLR using it and just salvage it), or if these things were machined after manufacturer specifications and I have to find a broken Ikoflex Ia with a working shutter/lens.
    Hell, I don't even care if the actuator->shutter-release coupling works as long as I can make this camera work again.

Now I'm already dreaming about the possibilities of customizing this thing, from a beautiful new leatherette with custom stitching to a new cover for the viewfinder with my name artistically engraved in it, together with a new paintjob and maybe even a goldplating on the Ikoflex logo and so on. You see, I'm not shy of spending some money on this thing if the job is possible.

Regards,
    Christian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Christian, welcome to APUG

Lenses and shutters do turn up I bought two 75mm Novars at a camera fair early March both in shutters, more recently an 80mm off a Kershaw in a Vario shutter and somewhere I may still have a Triotar in a Compur off a Rolleicord.

So yes you can get what you need and for less than 15 euros if you keep an eye on Ebay try the .co.uk version as well as the Geramn one (login details are identical as is watched items etc).

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin