Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,194   Online: 993

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't fix photographic equipment, but I fitted a new immersion heater in my hot water tank today, the last one was at least thirty years old and I had a hell of a job getting it out had corroded until the water had got to the electric element and blown the fuse, I also fitted a new insulation jacket to replace the old one.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    A ceiling fan...well, that is I will have fixed it when I locate a new capacitor. Interesting design. There are two capacitors. Looks like one start capacitor and a run capacitor with three different values. I am assuming this is how they rigged the 3 different speeds.
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    And today I spent the entire day replacing a garage door where our daughter lives. There have been some notable changes since 1974 and the new one did not exactly fit in the same places as the old one did. Not too bad however. Not really impressed with so many plastic parts (the opener was made by Chamberlain), but we'll see how it holds up.
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    And today I spent the entire day replacing a garage door where our daughter lives. There have been some notable changes since 1974 and the new one did not exactly fit in the same places as the old one did. Not too bad however. Not really impressed with so many plastic parts (the opener was made by Chamberlain), but we'll see how it holds up.
    Jon
    Plastic is the way of life now Jon. Did you try to find replacement parts for your old garage door before replacing the entire thing?

You can't find anyting made in the USA (not Union of South Africa either) and cheap cheap cheap China crap is all you get for your money these days.

Well I'm going to try to patch a leak in 2 made in the USA kayaks today.. they are also plastic but it's the durable stuff that will outlive all of us on this planet. I suspect the dinasurs will be diging this stuff up when humans are all gone.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I fixed a D2 enlarger I bought. I got it home and found I forgot to grab the cones to mount the lenses. So I need to go back and pick them up. But until then I got a 6 inch cake pan and drilled a hole in it to mount the lens. Turns out it works pretty good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cleaning glass elements:

The problem with using alcohol is that the static is not eliminated. I use any of the following: household ammonia (spectacular results), Windex, or simply tap water with a bit of dish liquid in it. Just make sure that when you wipe it off with a soft (very clean) tissue there is no residue. If so, you have too much dish liquid in the water.

For single elements from dissembled lenses I put a drop of this cleaner on each side of the lens and gently hold a clean tissue against both sides of the element while I turn the element in a circle. This works well but, a caveat, on a few lenses that have a certain rare earth element, doing this can cause circular lines. An example of this is the second to the last element on the Minolta PF 1.4/58mm. This element is very soft and scratches easily. However, this is rare. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What works really really well for me is using White Household Vinegar. Not diluted. Just straight and a microfiber cloth. Cleans filters like Awesome. Crystal clear.

Greg

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Plastic is the way of life now Jon. Did you try to find replacement parts for your old garage door before replacing the entire thing?
    I did that. The main problem with it was twofold: One, the radio controlled opener failed (to rebuild it is within my ability, but to adjust it requires a specialized tool which is not going to be easy to find nor inexpensive...and I would have to purchase it only for that single use). Two, the "screw" which drives the door up/down was worn and in this early model, that screw was about 9 feet long and one-piece. The aluminum channel in which it rotated was also worn badly since it had been used since 1974. The old style used an aluminum channel which was cast as a single unit with the motor mount, also. A good design, but maybe too good. Not nearly as much planned obsolescence possible with really good engineering, you know. So all things considered, it seemed to me that replacing it was the best use of $. I did save the control box and remote control unit. Maybe some cold night (if we get any of those in Dallas this year), I'll see about the possibilities of rigging it differently. Maybe use it to control an electric rat killer or something.
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This past weekend, got a donor camera for the F4s resurrection project. Replaced the wind side top cover, installed the prism that came with said camera, then borrowed a MS-21 battery clip for the MB-21 and tried it out. Works like a charm. So, just need to get the MS-21 and I'm in business.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heath View Post
    What works really really well for me is using White Household Vinegar. Not diluted. Just straight and a microfiber cloth. Cleans filters like Awesome. Crystal clear.

Greg
    I use Vinegar as well.. gets rid of any hard water deposits. Then I finish up with 100% alcohol or naptha. -that takes care of any oil residue.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin