Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,399   Online: 810

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What did you fix today? (part 2)

This large thread has been split. The original thread can be found here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...fix-today.html

Original post by darinwc:

What did you fix today?

Post your stories here!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hood on my Canon 70-200 f4L IS, I grafted it to a rubber lens hood so my 70-210 f4 could have a decent lens hood.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 5.6 Symmar in a Synchro Compur
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Picked up a very beat up, dirty Medalist II. I spent a while cleaning it up externally, cleaning the rangefinder, shutter blades etc... and then the shutter jammed.

I'm still trying to figure this one out. It may be the cocking/shutter button side but I was tempted to think the shutter itself. I opened up the shutter and verified it can fire if manually cocked but haven't found where the jam comes from. I tried removing the shutter but haven't figured out how to do that either. Frustrating as I'd hoped to at least get it to the point where I could run a roll through it. The condition of the camera over all didn't make it a good professional CLA candidate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I am no longer that mechanically inclined I stick with the easy stuff.

My latest are a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash that was really nasty dirty with a stuck shutter and a Target Six-20 with mirrors that were loose and flopping, sticky shutter, cruddy etc.

I'll get to run a couple rolls through them this weekend to see how they are running.
    Last edited by donkee; 04-25-2012 at 10:27 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa Isolette.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My main om4t. I got a lens for it today and all of a sudden after mounting the aperture changes did not affect the meter. Meter only worked during stop down with the dof button. Ugh.

After some checking the old lens and then the body I figured out the aperture coupling lever in the body was not returning. Quick check on my computer made me realize my service manual wasn't saved when I had to reinstall my windows after a bad virus. Doh. Ugh.

Lucky I have a parts body that I have been using up to repair my two om4ts. So took the lens mount off and figured out how the aperture meter coupling worked as well as the shutter speed selector. Then stripped my user body to repair. Turns out the tensioned string that returns the aperture metering flange jumped its track a bit and there was some friction against the shutter speed selector gear flange. Got it all back together but still didn't work, had to go back and swap all three pieces of the mount, shutter speed ring, and speed gear flange. Finally worked, but i must have bumped the speed gear inside and speeds were off. Ugh. Again apart and adjusted and back again.

Success. Finally. 2hrs later lol.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Contax Planar 50mm 1.4 MM Repair

I finally took the lens out and take it apart yesterday. It had oily aperture blades and was stuck open for many years. It took me almost 2 days to get it done. Everything seems to work now. The only thing I am not too happy about is that the glass now is not as spotless as used to be. There is no way I could keep dusts from getting there. Before I started I could shine a flash light into the glass and there was no dust inside. Now I can see some. I will have to live with it now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I clean lenses, I actually wash them in a plastic jar with dish washing soap, and using my fingers underwater very gently to clean the surfaces. I then rinse in regular cold water, and then again in distilled water and pat dry.

I then reinstall them in the lens holders.

Some times when I don't want to remove the lens I use denatured alcohol. along with some frosted breath, and a terry cloth rag.

If you have fungus on a lens...use a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. It dissolves the fungus. Then wash in cool water, followed by a dish washing soap cleaning and then the distilled water bath.

Greg

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lens Cleaning

Greg, I have tried 100% Isopropyl Alcohol (contains no water) to clean lens surface before. It always left some traces of cleaning on the surface. I even tried to coat the surface with it and let it dry by itself it still left obvious marks on the surface. If I wipe it with micro fiber cloth the marks will be gone but I can still see some traces. I just never found a way to clean without adding something to the surface.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I clean lenses, they are completely disassembled. The cameras I use are 40+ years old. I rarely touch my lenses normally. When they are on the camera I use spray eyeglass cleaner I get at the drug store and a small terry cloth towel

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin