Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,483   Online: 909

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pix of your home-built cams, mods and creations here please (part 2)

This large thread has been split. The original can be found here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...re-please.html

The original thread post by nick mulder:

hiya,

we don’t all have access to the tech gallery so I thought it would be nice to have a thread here where we can upload snaps of our home-built cameras/mods/creations - in all states of disrepair and/or completion ...

I am building a 4x5 at the mo' and am starting on the bellows today - although I don’t have an example pic to get the ball rolling yet I would love to see everyone else’s creations no matter how prototype, slash job, 'typical', copied, weird or fantastically crafted they are - I think it would be great to share ideas and skills as we already are but with a few more pics to give those without the crafts vocab (such as myself a few months back) a visual understanding and inspiration also..

I'm into MF and soon LF but anything is good as I'm sure there will be cross-pollination of ideas between the formats...

>> pinhole - panorama - 35mm - MF - LF - ULF - darkroom/contact gear - tripods - accessories/helpers - parts - unique fixes - etc << all good

I *promise* to upload some pics of mine once complete (hopefully soon) - I just don’t have a digital cam on hand...

maybe it could be a drop-folder kind of thing where other threads discussing the aspects of building can link/reference ?

cheers!
    nick

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I know I have uploaded this somewhere else, but this pic is inserted here to suggest to people making their own cameras that they make the front standard the same size as a Sinar, so that should a Sinar shutter comes along at a reasonable price it can be mounted - The advantage here is that cheap un-shuttered lenses can be used and if your shutters are questionable the Sinar one will give consistency

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto120206d1389.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	49918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto120206d1390.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	49917

More info on http://www.jbaphoto.com.au/johnaustinblog.html

I know this will make the front standard big, but with careful design I believe it can be made to work

John

John

Shooter
    35mm
    As some of my fellow APUGers may have read recently, I bought a Cambo SCX monorail view camera with one lens board. Trouble is, I have a few lenses I want to use, and I found it a bit of a pain to constantly swap lenses onto my one board.

So, I made three boards out of foam core, using a pencil, an x-acto knife, a pair of pliers to flatten the edges of the boards, and a ruler. Oh, also flat black spray paint. Attached are pictures.

I am surprised that they are light-tight, but they are! The lenses are, clockwise from the top right, a Tominon 105mm f/4.5 in a Copal shutter (in the Cambo recessed board), a Bausch & Lomb Rapid Rectilinear with a focal length of about 140mm (f/8?) and a Kodak ball-bearing shutter, a Rodenstock Eurygon 35mm f/4 in a Prontor shutter, and a Repromaster 150mm f/9 process lens in barrel. I'm planning to build a guillotine shutter for the process lens.
    Attachment 50075
    Attachment 50076
    Last edited by rthomas; 04-27-2012 at 09:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added lens info

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    this pic is inserted here to suggest to people making their own cameras that they make the front standard the same size as a Sinar, so that should a Sinar shutter comes along at a reasonable price it can be mounted
    My new build will have a front the same size as a Sinar. But for a different reason. It's because I bought a Sinar bellows cheap and then decided to build something around it.

Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5x4cam1.jpg   5x4cam2.jpg   5x4cam3.jpg   5x4cam4.jpg  
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Grafinar

In the old thread I posted a pic of my Grafinar. It is still under construction and looks like this

Name:	6973213366_5f1a534b04_z.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	50213

and one ofe the first test images on fujiroid

Name:	7131246525_00214fc42c_z.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	50214

I love the smoothness. It will get a perfect portrait camera

cheers and all the best from Germany,
    Sebastian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polaroid 110A with 600SE adapter

A friend sent me an old 110A, believing I could revive it to actually taking pictures again. I pondered on many 4x5 conversion solutions, ending up looking long and good at Noah Schwartz´low profile back, very slick. I did however end up taking an easier route, grafting a Polaroid 600SE back adapter to the 110A, making it almost as versatile as anything with a Graflok back, only slightly smaller Can now mount just about anything up to 6x9 in 120/220 with the right adapter, not to mention Polaroid backs (like the CB103 pack film back on her now), and even 4x5 (though not covering the frame completely).

The hardest part was manufacturing the adapter plate. I made one that both functions as a mount for the adapter, but is also the side wall of the camera (where the end has been chopped off). The film plane has as a result of the plate and the 600SE adapter been moved back an inch or so, so the end stop for the lens has been moved back correspondingly.

The camera was a bit worse for wear, so she´s been given a good going over. The Ysaron in Compur #0 shutter was a bit gummed up, so exchanged for a Tominon in Copal #1 press shutter. Needed to widen the mount for that. I recovered her in Cameraleather green composite leather (comes in sheets). The top cover has been chopped too, filled, sanded and painted cream. I think she looks quite nice.

Polaroid 110A conversion front #2 by Eirik0304, on Flickr

Polaroid 110A conversion front #1 by Eirik0304, on Flickr

Polaroid 110A conversion back #2 by Eirik0304, on Flickr

Polaroid 110A conversion back #1 by Eirik0304, on Flickr

Polaroid 110A conversion back #3 by Eirik0304, on Flickr

DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | DIY 6x24 anarmorphic pinhole | Pentax' SV & SP 1000 | Rolleiflex | Kalloflex | Weltix | Royal 35-M | Leica M4-2 | Polaroid 250 | Polaroid 110A / 600SE conversion | DIY Polaroid View | DUO Polaroid TLR | Vito CL | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Canon EF | Mamiya 1000s

My Blogspot
    My Flickr
    My APUG Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An Alpa knockoff I built (the Scopious); using a 38mm XL, Alpa finder and modified Linhof back. I've also mounted up a 100mm and 150mm APO Symmars for the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scope 1.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks very professional an business like. Well done. Like the honking big finder.

DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | DIY 6x24 anarmorphic pinhole | Pentax' SV & SP 1000 | Rolleiflex | Kalloflex | Weltix | Royal 35-M | Leica M4-2 | Polaroid 250 | Polaroid 110A / 600SE conversion | DIY Polaroid View | DUO Polaroid TLR | Vito CL | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Canon EF | Mamiya 1000s

My Blogspot
    My Flickr
    My APUG Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Polaroid 110A/600SE with roll film back.

Wanted a 6x9, it would be silly to stick anything less on this big brute of a camera. Since the M-adapter type backs obscure the viewfinder, and the G-type adapters only allow RB67 roll film backs, I went and made/adapted my own solution. Took an adapter probably taken off a CB-70/103 pack film back, and a Graflex 23 I went about getting the film plane right. This meant grinding out a trough 3.2mm deep in the adapter plate.

The roll film holder has no means of fixing to the adapter. So I made a skirt of 1/8" aluminium, glued it to the holder and then bolted it to the adapter. A bit of paint and light tight foam later and hey presto:

Mounted on the camera:

Test picture:

My Blogspot
    My Flickr
    My APUG Gallery

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin