Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,948   Online: 1125

Shooter
    Medium Format

5x4 point and shoot

Hi all
    I've a hankering to build a 5x4 point and shoot camera might be able to get hold of either a 47mm or 90mm super angulon both mounted in shutters. Main object would be landscape and perhaps architect.
    first, which lens? Second, do I need a focus mount, would it be a good idea to get hold of a camera ( especially with a graflok back) and start there.
    any pointers would be greatful.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Do a bit of a search; there are several recent threads (both here and on another Large Format forum) about building this type of camera.

Good luck with the build!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a sticky of home made camera at the top of this forum, Flickr is another good resource, search homemade cameras. You don't "need" a focusing mount, the hyperfocal distance method works well for those two lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverman View Post
    Hi all I've a hankering to build a 5x4 point and shoot camera might be able to get hold of either a 47mm or 90mm super angulon both mounted in shutters.
    FYI, the regular 47mm SA doesn't come close to covering 4x5. The 47mm SA XL will, but it's crazy, crazy wide on 4x5 - calculating from the diagonal, it's roughly like a 13mm lens on 35mm. A 90 will be much easier to handle, and if you haven't done much 4x5 before, it's probably a better place to start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 4x5 point & shoot, iti is called a "Crown Graphic".

Actually, that is exactly how a press camera was originally used. The press photographers did not have time to fiddle with their camera, so they preset every thing and all they had to do was point the camera and shoot. My usual settings are ASA 100 film, f/22, 1/50 sec, 10 feet in bright sun or with a #5 flashbulb (I am not usually shooting landscapes, but people doing something). The camera has the usual 135mm lens (equivalent to a 35mm on a full frame digital).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin